Skip to main content

I'm free to do what I want, any ol time...

I like to blog ever so often to just document where my brain is at -at certain times in my life. We are in the thick of July and yesterday I did something I've been needing to do for a long time. Years, even. I booked tickets to get the hell out of here for almost two weeks. I'm going to the Bay where I usually go and always love to go. I'm super excited to see my sister and friends there. And I love having something on the calendar to look forward to.

A friend mentioned "but yer job!" ... And it reminded me of an old mindset I used to carry. Being worried and stressed out about asking for time off from jobs who delighted in saying no and making your life hell for even asking (even if you had vacation time/pay). Feeling guilty about this or that in relation to your vacation, etc.

THATS NOT ME ANYMORE and I had to retrain my brain to accept this new fact- IM THE BOSS OF ME and I don't apologize for living my life and making healthy decisions for myself. I'm fully aware that if one job doesn't work out there are more out there and I also create my own jobs so who's got the power? Me. 

I've also been around some negative energy that reminded me I don't need to explain, defend or apologize for a lot of stuff I used to feel that I needed to. I just don't. And I don't need to keep fueling these negative conversations with these people and feeling bad through the whole ordeal just because we are "friends". So, in short, this blog is about feeling free at last and feeling a great sense of autonomy that my life is in fact my own to do with as I will. Not sure at what point in life we get sold on the idea that other people decide our lives, happiness and decisions but it's a wonderful day when you break that mirror of illusions. 

As the great Jimi Hendrix once said "I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die- so let me live my life the way I want to"

Currently swamped with tons of work that have nothing to do with"jobs" and actually back in the creative swing of things. Working on a book cover for a friend, commercial design projects, other random things like a pickguard, Plexi glass piece and a custom car is possibly in my future to do list. And a trip to San Francisco on the radar just in time for my birthday!

Hope everyone is feeling empowered, free and ready to knock it out of the ballpark! 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jim Rockford was keeping me broke

Ah Rockford files, a comfortable and silly way to unwind after work. Yes, I am completely aware that I've turned into my Dad and watching Dad shows totally cements that theory. I had to start looking at the handsome James Garner in a new light though... He was a rich and famous star in his time and every evening spent curled up watching Rockford Files was an evening a painting wasn't getting worked on. No painting, no art show material. No painting, no galleries. No painting, no money. Would James Garner be watching TV every evening in a tired drowsy ball and not getting stuff done? Probably not.  So I pulled myself away from TV land in the evenings and devoted at least a little time in the mornings as well. Even if it's just ten minutes. Even if you are just filling in all the blacks, blues or whatever... It is progress. Something is better than nothing. I'm proud to say this little habit tweak has totally kicked my butt into gear and I'm producing at a rate I'

How I had the best art year

  This was the year I got rejection letters from every open call I applied to. Granted, it wasn't very many I applied to because I am very picky about what I sign up for AND I am also very jaded about these things of late.  However, this was my best art year to date and I kinda love that it was all rejection notices this year and I STILL HAD THE BEST ART YEAR EVER. Takeaway: Today's open calls are very "agenda based" and the jurors they choose to judge have their agendas. Some want more millennials and younger artists and shun the older artists, some want you to tackle race, gender identity, politics, feminist, pro this or that.... And my art does not. I'm going to stick by  my "Nature is more important than most bullshit" stance till I die because the very atom of life and Nature is more important in my eyes than most of the stuff humans do to feel more important than another group.  But I digress! I did not get into the velvet rope clubs and it was gre

The Backstory- cliff notes edition

  Skip navigation  little backstory I was totally working for myself as an artist and you know what? It was HARD! Harder than hard and harder than any job ever. But it was the most rewarding experience and I learned so much about so many things and I want to share that knowledge with you guys... My VIP art club. I didn't get a fair shake from the very beginning of my art career. I suffered a back injury at my "muggle" job which required a lot of physical therapy to get over and which I will have with me forever now. It was actually the impetus for me to quit my job and start being an artist! So I turned my bad luck into fuel for my fire. I saved 5k (painstakingly while enduring all the BS at a terrible job) and then I made the leap. I was so excited and optimistic about working for myself! I had sold little pieces here and there and was sure it was only upwards from there. 2 weeks into my freedom- my Dad died unexpectedly. What came next was indescribable DEPRESSION and a