Skip to main content

Digital Vacation

 

Have you looked around and discovered you have filled your life with bad habits? If you said NO- good for you, you might not be human! 😁 
I was experiencing a major BLAH and it was all because of ME. What I spent time on, consumed, did and did not do. I also felt like the willpower I used to have in abundance was gone and I wondered if I would ever get it back. 
First and foremost I had to look at my main bad habits. What was the very first thing I did every day. EVERY DAY! I reached for my phone, I social media blitzed my brain over two long cups of coffee every morning. I made sure to look at my MEMORIES like it was my job every day. Ruminating on the past and seeing everyone's angry opinions and celebrity/political posts and regurgitated memes ad nauseum....is actually not a very optimistic and healthy way for me to cruise into the day. Not only is this not good for my spirit it wasted almost two hours of every morning. 💀 That's precious time! 
I'm weaning myself from my phone in general but I can replace social media scrolling with healthy recipe scrolling, garden blogs, fitness and informative reading. At least over coffee, for now until I don't feel the urge to reach for my phone in quiet moments. 
Oh horror of horrors... My other bad habit! I had gotten into a really bad rut right after work. I cooked dinner, ate it in front of the TV while watching real life murder shows like Dateline, southern fried murders, killer cruise ships, etc.... And I would be so drawn in to the show and so lethargic after eating that the rest of my evening was shot. I laid in a little ball watching the worst of humans do the worst of things. So if my two hours of social media to start the day wasn't uplifting enough there were dead humans to end my day. Shouldn't I be painting? Playing with cats? Doing some kind of workout or ANYTHING Else? 
This is not even my cat... it's a feral who likes to terrorize my garden and yes I feed him and his whole family so he's kinda mine but he owns himself. 
So habit reset time is underway and although all the experts say you shouldn't do ALL  THE THINGS all at once... I'm a take care of business kinda gal. I need serious self care and not chamomile and facials. I hung out in the garden and didn't check my phone 50 times as I sat in the sun. I fully enjoyed the breezes, the sights, the sounds, the cats destroying stuff. 

 I marched myself back into the gym and instead of murder after work I'll be murdering some calories. Health is top of my list of bad habit stuff I'm tackling. More vegetables, better choices and movement! I've already discovered that you have way more time in the day when you do the very important task of disconnecting your brain from screens and back into your body. 
I finished a painting! I got some video stuff edited and uploaded. I did laundry, food prep and a little cleaning with my newfound TIME. I'm totally in MINDFUL mode and it's grand. I'm just writing this blog to document what's going on but my pull to the phone is less and less every day. 
Better food choices!
I'm getting close to my solo show and have so much to do to get it together so having my brain, time and joy back was necessary.
Met Ron English and saw some art!

Met Bill Haveron and got to see his art in person finally!

Ron English and my friend Joel Woiten 

Two great local artists: Hatziel Flores and Jeremy Biggers

I even did something completely weird and went OUT and was SOCIAL 🤪🤣 What the hell?!
Hopefully if you are in the same rut of slothy, time wasting, doom scrolling hell... This is proof that there is life beyond the screen. And although I didn't make it too big a point in this blog MINDFULNESS has been everything in making this happen and enjoyable. Fully being in the moment, even the little day to day moments of washing dishes, eating, walking... So joyful. Breathing and being right here, right now and claiming back my precious time and spirit. 
I think I saved myself from terrible things... Like my life happening without me being present. 
Take care of yourselves- because you can ❤️











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I had the best art year

  This was the year I got rejection letters from every open call I applied to. Granted, it wasn't very many I applied to because I am very picky about what I sign up for AND I am also very jaded about these things of late.  However, this was my best art year to date and I kinda love that it was all rejection notices this year and I STILL HAD THE BEST ART YEAR EVER. Takeaway: Today's open calls are very "agenda based" and the jurors they choose to judge have their agendas. Some want more millennials and younger artists and shun the older artists, some want you to tackle race, gender identity, politics, feminist, pro this or that.... And my art does not. I'm going to stick by  my "Nature is more important than most bullshit" stance till I die because the very atom of life and Nature is more important in my eyes than most of the stuff humans do to feel more important than another group.  But I digress! I did not get into the velvet rope clubs and it was gre

So what's the Scenario?

Street Artist 'My Dog Sighs' Paints Faces on Cans Found Littered on the Street I found this interesting art on Pinterest and thought it would be a good example for a proposed scenario.....indulge me if you will.... The scenario is this....this street artist paints on cans. Pretty cool right? Pretty neat! He's probably not the only one who paints on cans in the world but he most likely is the only one in his little neck of the woods and art circle. Ok, let's pretend I invite this CAN painter to be in this big group show we do annually at my gallery. (This is pretend land, I dont have a gallery but roll with me...)  Ok, he is a hit, everyone thinks his can faces are awesome and he's considered pretty unique for doing this medium in our little art circle. Ok fast forward into the future....it's a year later and it's time for our big annual show...here's the scenario....we don't invite the CAN artist to come show again BUT we do hand out a can

Year of the Dragon

  First off, Happy New Year to my blog readers! Not sure if I actually have blog readers but if I do- I wish you well! We are coming up on the Chinese Lunar New Year and it's Year of the Dragon! I jumped into the year at a crazy pace and really need to pace myself for ALL THE THINGS I'm trying to accomplish. First off it was very important to me to launch a couple things and explore some other platforms. Those being: Tiktok, Patreon and YouTube I'll go on to say that I actually did not want to do any of these. I repeat DID NOT WANT TO DO THESE.  *Didn't think I was worthy for people to pay me on Patreon and also thought creating perks for people monthly was a lot of work. So far ...IT IS A LOT OF WORK....but I am new and growing from the ground up and that's how it is. Growing pains! I'm working to learn and streamline this so it goes hand in hand with... *YouTube channel! Who actually does not enjoy seeing my weird face and voice in a video? Hi. ME. I really di