Skip to main content

She's Got Legs...But she can't even use them

disclaimer: these are NOT I repeat NOT my sexy legs so hold your marriage proposals

Well! Where to start, it's been a busy weekend and I've decided to totally OBLITERATE all of last week from my brain since it was nothing but pain and stress and worry. So onward we go, the weekend! I spent Friday doing some work getting ready for the CEDARS WEST ARTS FESTIVAL. I was hired to do some CHALK SIGNAGE and then Saturday I showed up to create kids chalk stations on the street. The asphalt was kinda hard to draw on but I created some fun stuff and here's where all the trouble started. I worked for about two hours, drawing a big giant sun, an octopus (moustachiopus), flowers, recycling symbols, some bunnies, smiley clouds, anime kids, etc, etc....each drawing required me to squat down and stand up and squat down and stand  up... and do you see where this is going? It wasn't until that evening after I had kicked off my shoes and laid down for about 20 minutes that I realized HOLY HECK....I cannot walk. Yep- totally shot my quadriceps. Hamstrings yelling at me. Calves shaking their head in anger. My legs went on strike. The next day I was walking like Fred Sanford...only even worse and even slower. Even today I am feeling the pain. I decided any street work will require a skateboard. Two hours worth of squats is not in my cards ever again. Ouch. The festival was fun and the turnout was amazing. I was hired to man the paint station for the MAGIC GARDEN PROGRAM
There was a big COMMUNITY mural where you could come add to it- paint by numbers style. It was a big hit, everyone came and painted on that thing.
Since I was working I didn't really venture out much to see what was happening but there were art vendors, jewelry, food, artisans, a petting zoo, a bounce house, bands and so much more. There was even an old fire truck driving around! It was a good vibe and everyone seemed to be having a good time even in the HEAT. I was in full sun most of the day and was thankful for my SPF 80 I packed and the little ball cap I was wearing. Nonetheless my shoulders got sun kissed...sun raped, but nothing major. I'll just look really dumb in a tube top for awhile. Tan lines! If you visit this event page on facebook you can see so many fun photos from the event. Some of my friends showed up and made the day even better for me. 
The rest of the weekend was spent EASY, walking very slowly, saying things like OW and STUPID LEGS and BOOOHOOO. I was also able to capture some shots of the little murals I worked on in their newly installed home at Claxton Recycling (Dallas)
After adding all this stuff into my work portfolio it dawned on me, man I am a busy motherfluffer and boy do I work hard for the money, so hard for the money, I work hard for the money so I better treat myself right. REST DAY PART TWO ELECTRIC BOOGALOO...hey I have a great excuse, it still hurts to walk. :)
Please check out my newly updated website for NEW EVENTS,places to see me DANCE and DJ and show ART...hey, I told you I was a busy motherfluffer!


Comments

  1. Sore sucks! I hate it ! And do not let her fool anyone boys her legs are sexy so propose away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahah! SISTER! :) Ok my legs ARE sexy but they walk like Fred Sanford so beware. (cue Sanford and Son theme song...)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jim Rockford was keeping me broke

Ah Rockford files, a comfortable and silly way to unwind after work. Yes, I am completely aware that I've turned into my Dad and watching Dad shows totally cements that theory. I had to start looking at the handsome James Garner in a new light though... He was a rich and famous star in his time and every evening spent curled up watching Rockford Files was an evening a painting wasn't getting worked on. No painting, no art show material. No painting, no galleries. No painting, no money. Would James Garner be watching TV every evening in a tired drowsy ball and not getting stuff done? Probably not.  So I pulled myself away from TV land in the evenings and devoted at least a little time in the mornings as well. Even if it's just ten minutes. Even if you are just filling in all the blacks, blues or whatever... It is progress. Something is better than nothing. I'm proud to say this little habit tweak has totally kicked my butt into gear and I'm producing at a rate I'

How I had the best art year

  This was the year I got rejection letters from every open call I applied to. Granted, it wasn't very many I applied to because I am very picky about what I sign up for AND I am also very jaded about these things of late.  However, this was my best art year to date and I kinda love that it was all rejection notices this year and I STILL HAD THE BEST ART YEAR EVER. Takeaway: Today's open calls are very "agenda based" and the jurors they choose to judge have their agendas. Some want more millennials and younger artists and shun the older artists, some want you to tackle race, gender identity, politics, feminist, pro this or that.... And my art does not. I'm going to stick by  my "Nature is more important than most bullshit" stance till I die because the very atom of life and Nature is more important in my eyes than most of the stuff humans do to feel more important than another group.  But I digress! I did not get into the velvet rope clubs and it was gre

The Backstory- cliff notes edition

  Skip navigation  little backstory I was totally working for myself as an artist and you know what? It was HARD! Harder than hard and harder than any job ever. But it was the most rewarding experience and I learned so much about so many things and I want to share that knowledge with you guys... My VIP art club. I didn't get a fair shake from the very beginning of my art career. I suffered a back injury at my "muggle" job which required a lot of physical therapy to get over and which I will have with me forever now. It was actually the impetus for me to quit my job and start being an artist! So I turned my bad luck into fuel for my fire. I saved 5k (painstakingly while enduring all the BS at a terrible job) and then I made the leap. I was so excited and optimistic about working for myself! I had sold little pieces here and there and was sure it was only upwards from there. 2 weeks into my freedom- my Dad died unexpectedly. What came next was indescribable DEPRESSION and a