Skip to main content

Cue Dream Sequence...

September 17, 2009 
"This is gonna be me in a bit" - Patricia Rodriguez

This is another installment of ART PLUNGING- HOW TO DO IT. I thought it appropriate to give you some background on why I took the art plunge in the first place and go back down memory lane a bit to show you that I know where you're at, what you're feeling and wishing for because that was me.
Apparently on September 17, 2009 I posted this picture on Facebook and was about to go in for an open air MRI. Why? Because the damn job I was at broke my back. At this point I was on Workers Comp -which if you've ever had the pleasure know it is one of the most difficult NIGHTMARES of your life at a time when you don't need that kind of extra stress on your fragile self. But I digress. In a nutshell- MISERY. I could barely walk, couldn't lift, had to pull myself up using the walls or whatever was near. There was no comfortable position to lay in because your back which is the control center for EVERYTHING is injured, a link in my chain was damaged and now the whole thing was useless. Sitting? painful. Sitting made things worse. Standing for more than  a  few minutes- horrible. So basically there is no human position you can assume that provides relief and you are doing exercises daily to try to strengthen yourself so that someday you can maybe feel human again. Depression of the highest degree? CHECK. Because added to all that is the fact that you...artist...can't freaking work on what makes you happy. Your art.


I looked to Frida Kahlo
It helped remembering someone that made her art no matter what. I fought through the pain and tried to sit and work on things. I decided that even if it was for  5 or 10 minutes a day it was SOMETHING and that eventually it would get finished. I started on something small and manageable, I cut up little bits of newspaper and began a paper collage painting

It took forever to finish but I had to feel my hand drawing, painting every day for therapy. 
After painful sessions sitting I tried to curl in a ball and rest. Everything hurt. I had sciatica and was prescribed vicodin. I couldn't handle the pain or the pain pills. I didn't want to feel like a zombie on top of feeling pain and sadness. I had been given a look at my mortality as a fragile twig on this planet. I was not invincible. I was breakable. I no longer felt like a human and hid away from all my friends. I drank wine and listened to music. Wine at least put me in a happy fog where vicodin just made me stare at walls wanting to paint so badly but unable to.
 When I had done enough therapy to be able to walk long enough and stand long enough I strapped on my back brace and returned to work. I was met with a hostile environment. Apparently my "boss" (who had been out to get rid of me from the minute her kitten heels walked through the door) decided to spread gossip around the work place about how I wasn't really injured. Coworkers made remarks. My boss and supervisor picked on me daily. They hated that I wasn't working full days and was on light duty. I was now considered a liability and they wanted me gone. Every day was a new insult, tactic to make my life hell. I was still very much in injury mode but trying to troop through it. It was at this point in my life I decided I HAD to make a change. Living in misery day after day and being exposed to such toxic and cruel people was not the way anyone should live.
So I took a pen and a little slip of paper and wrote down how much I had in my bank account. I then made a list of all my bills, prescriptions, grocery costs and expenditures. I worked over my budget all week. What could I do without? Can I handle living like a pauper? What if I never find another job? What if this is a mistake? At this point I had fallen back into talking myself out of it again. I had to remember THIS WAS NOT A STABLE ENVIRONMENT. I also told myself I DESERVE TO BE HAPPY. So every day it was my happy little moment to add X amount into my savings every day. I did it every day just to feel that at the end of getting through another horrible day in hell I was putting another rung on my ladder to get the hell out of there.  I had my budget and decided the magic number for me was $5, 000. That would be plenty for me to live on for a couple of months while I tried to work on my art, sell it and then find something else. I was fully prepared to find another dead end job if I had to. Somewhere I still have a little tally sheet I was keeping, every day at work I would take it out and much like GOLEM think about it as my Precious, my ticket to freedom. I was focused on this goal. Saving. Watching my pile of gold grow. In the meantime I thought about my business. What was I going to do? I had a small shop on ETSY and had done ok selling a few handmade boxes here and there. At this point I had also sold a couple of records also. Nothing to live on forever but just enough to give me hope- PEOPLE OUT THERE WANT MY STUFF. I knew I was about to jump into the world of hustling. Art and craft fairs. Shipping stuff out and maintaining stock. I ordered gridwall to display art on for the future art/craft fairs. I ordered cardboard record boxes for all the records I was going to sell and ship. I was VISUALIZING my thriving business and preparing for it. All this while I was working in hell. It made me feel good to be proactive towards my own happy future. It's all that kept me going. I made business cards and started thinking about designs and prices. My mind was working overtime because it had to.
Now this is all a lot of information to take in but to condense it...I USED THE BULLSHIT AND CRAP THAT WAS BEING THROWN AT ME FOR POSITIVE CHANGE. Pardon my French.
Once you make up your mind and focus you can start taking steps toward your goal. Focus is key. Every day. Telling yourself you are getting closer and taking action to get closer. I also did what a lot of people do, browsed blogs looking up "how to quit your dayjob and live the life you want!" it all ended up "BUY MY BOOK! PAY FOR MY WEB SEMINAR! YOU TOO CAN LIVE YOUR DREAMS!" Whoopty whoopty BULLSHIT. Yes you too can write an awesome self help book telling people what they want to hear and make lots of money! I'm giving you the straight dope- those books just talk about how awesome working for yourself is. They don't really GET YOU THERE. (I have a copy of the 4 Hour Work Week that only got a few chapters read. GROAN!)So this was only part TWO of getting there and the lesson here is USE YOUR BAD SITUATION AS FUEL. FIND YOUR MAGIC GOAL NUMBER AND MAKE A GOAL. YOU DON'T GET ANYWHERE IF YOU DON'T PICK A DIRECTION.
Until next time....chin up!
Birthday party for me thrown by the dear friends who had my back (literally!) My first time seeing all my friends in a long time. I had gained weight because I couldn't run, exercise and my hair was a mess because I was afraid sitting in a salon chair would be too painful and I couldn't stand it. But I had friends dammit and cake! 

Comments

  1. thank you for writing this & sharing it with us. your message is moving & hopeful. i need to go make a golem list :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant insight, m'dear! I hope that by helping friends who want to do the same (ahem!) that you are also diving into a memory bank of the last year and all of what you've succeeded to do. You're an inspiration! You should be uber proud. UBER! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Thanks for the comments! People are reading! :) Thanks friends and I hope my experiences help to motivate you towards your goals whatever they may be. You deserve happiness!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jim Rockford was keeping me broke

Ah Rockford files, a comfortable and silly way to unwind after work. Yes, I am completely aware that I've turned into my Dad and watching Dad shows totally cements that theory. I had to start looking at the handsome James Garner in a new light though... He was a rich and famous star in his time and every evening spent curled up watching Rockford Files was an evening a painting wasn't getting worked on. No painting, no art show material. No painting, no galleries. No painting, no money. Would James Garner be watching TV every evening in a tired drowsy ball and not getting stuff done? Probably not.  So I pulled myself away from TV land in the evenings and devoted at least a little time in the mornings as well. Even if it's just ten minutes. Even if you are just filling in all the blacks, blues or whatever... It is progress. Something is better than nothing. I'm proud to say this little habit tweak has totally kicked my butt into gear and I'm producing at a rate I'

How I had the best art year

  This was the year I got rejection letters from every open call I applied to. Granted, it wasn't very many I applied to because I am very picky about what I sign up for AND I am also very jaded about these things of late.  However, this was my best art year to date and I kinda love that it was all rejection notices this year and I STILL HAD THE BEST ART YEAR EVER. Takeaway: Today's open calls are very "agenda based" and the jurors they choose to judge have their agendas. Some want more millennials and younger artists and shun the older artists, some want you to tackle race, gender identity, politics, feminist, pro this or that.... And my art does not. I'm going to stick by  my "Nature is more important than most bullshit" stance till I die because the very atom of life and Nature is more important in my eyes than most of the stuff humans do to feel more important than another group.  But I digress! I did not get into the velvet rope clubs and it was gre

The Backstory- cliff notes edition

  Skip navigation  little backstory I was totally working for myself as an artist and you know what? It was HARD! Harder than hard and harder than any job ever. But it was the most rewarding experience and I learned so much about so many things and I want to share that knowledge with you guys... My VIP art club. I didn't get a fair shake from the very beginning of my art career. I suffered a back injury at my "muggle" job which required a lot of physical therapy to get over and which I will have with me forever now. It was actually the impetus for me to quit my job and start being an artist! So I turned my bad luck into fuel for my fire. I saved 5k (painstakingly while enduring all the BS at a terrible job) and then I made the leap. I was so excited and optimistic about working for myself! I had sold little pieces here and there and was sure it was only upwards from there. 2 weeks into my freedom- my Dad died unexpectedly. What came next was indescribable DEPRESSION and a