Skip to main content

Hexes and Vexes Oh My!

David Bowie on red see thru 15" phonograph vinyl record, work in progress...possibly cursed!

I like making up fantastical stories in my head. It makes life more exciting. For instance I like to think that this red phonograph record I'm painting on is possibly cursed and the minute I laid my paintbrush to it I shook something deep inside the earth and some miasma  I could not see enveloped me and started making everything wrong happen. That's much more exciting than thinking that because I'm tired and unfocused and because things just happen... that is why mistakes and folly have beset me. No...it's HEXES and CURSES! HELL YEAH!
Friday the 13th found the new car with a smashed hood, thanks to some dipshit who decided to stop abruptly on the highway -which caused the vehicle in front of us to stop abruptly on the highway -which caused us to stop abruptly on the highway and the brakes....locked and slippity slide right into the SUV in front of us. Nice. Thanks Friday the 13th. 
Still pissed and disoriented but eager to get some work done I proceeded painting on my red cursed vinyl. It was coming out nicely, I had planned to push this one even farther and add lighting elements. I left parts I wanted the lights to shine through and painted around on the parts that would block light out. An experiment. I would have to build a backing base to float the record away from the wall far enough to add lights and....would have to find lights. So yesterday after waking up at 7:30 am and starting painting immediately I found myself on the road to look for lights at 1pm.....with no lunch in my belly. I brought along my record so I could test out lights on it as I got them and if they didn't work immediately return them instead of making extra trips. I thought this was a good idea but....
I had no energy, I was grumpy and the store which boasted a certain LED light kit on their website didn't have said kit. EFF! Ok, whatever. LUNCH FIRST and then back to hunting. Apparently there was supposed to be a PHO restaurant a few blocks away...at least according to GOOGLE. After about 30 minutes of getting turned around and lost in Garland where the PHO BANG was never found it was off to Pei Wei. Lunch consumed I felt a little more human. Until I discovered a GIANT ERROR on my part. Vinyl record in the car...in the Texas heat? What do you think?
Melt city.
Luckily it was only a small part of the record that warped out but I was furious and couldn't wait to get the thing home so I could try to flatten it out again. But home wasn't in the equation until stupid LED lights were found. Found some that MIGHT work at a different store but wasn't totally satisfied and it was off to FRY'S Electronics. After another hour of pouring through LED lights that you couldn't test because they were in tight little blister packs I grabbed a few options and crossed my fingers. I sat in the parking lot of Fry's with my album on the concrete trying to warm it back to a malleable state so I could flatten it out. It wasn't happpening. I would have to iron it when I got home.
Got home and immediately bust out the iron. Ironed the record down as much as I could and noticed it had marred the surface of an area I wanted to leave showing. REALLY? SERIOUSLY? Gimme a break Universe! So then it was back to the drawing board...LITERALLY. Redesigned the composition and decided the surface would need to be painted in that spot. The record is ever so slightly warped but not badly at all and now it is a whole other monster than when I first started it.
Today will find me repainting, finishing the painting of it and experimenting with the lights and epoxy and trying to build the backing base with hanging attachment. I am fully prepared for this thing to fly poltergeist style off the wall and shatter into a million pieces in a puff of magical purple smoke!
However it WILL BE DONE TODAY! Oh yes!
Moral of the story: Eat lunch! Don't work on things when you're angry! Don't use LED lights! Don't take vinyl out on roadtrips! Don't drive cars that don't fly!
I'll post pictures of the magnificent queen bitch of a record when it's done!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jim Rockford was keeping me broke

Ah Rockford files, a comfortable and silly way to unwind after work. Yes, I am completely aware that I've turned into my Dad and watching Dad shows totally cements that theory. I had to start looking at the handsome James Garner in a new light though... He was a rich and famous star in his time and every evening spent curled up watching Rockford Files was an evening a painting wasn't getting worked on. No painting, no art show material. No painting, no galleries. No painting, no money. Would James Garner be watching TV every evening in a tired drowsy ball and not getting stuff done? Probably not.  So I pulled myself away from TV land in the evenings and devoted at least a little time in the mornings as well. Even if it's just ten minutes. Even if you are just filling in all the blacks, blues or whatever... It is progress. Something is better than nothing. I'm proud to say this little habit tweak has totally kicked my butt into gear and I'm producing at a rate I'

How I had the best art year

  This was the year I got rejection letters from every open call I applied to. Granted, it wasn't very many I applied to because I am very picky about what I sign up for AND I am also very jaded about these things of late.  However, this was my best art year to date and I kinda love that it was all rejection notices this year and I STILL HAD THE BEST ART YEAR EVER. Takeaway: Today's open calls are very "agenda based" and the jurors they choose to judge have their agendas. Some want more millennials and younger artists and shun the older artists, some want you to tackle race, gender identity, politics, feminist, pro this or that.... And my art does not. I'm going to stick by  my "Nature is more important than most bullshit" stance till I die because the very atom of life and Nature is more important in my eyes than most of the stuff humans do to feel more important than another group.  But I digress! I did not get into the velvet rope clubs and it was gre

The Backstory- cliff notes edition

  Skip navigation  little backstory I was totally working for myself as an artist and you know what? It was HARD! Harder than hard and harder than any job ever. But it was the most rewarding experience and I learned so much about so many things and I want to share that knowledge with you guys... My VIP art club. I didn't get a fair shake from the very beginning of my art career. I suffered a back injury at my "muggle" job which required a lot of physical therapy to get over and which I will have with me forever now. It was actually the impetus for me to quit my job and start being an artist! So I turned my bad luck into fuel for my fire. I saved 5k (painstakingly while enduring all the BS at a terrible job) and then I made the leap. I was so excited and optimistic about working for myself! I had sold little pieces here and there and was sure it was only upwards from there. 2 weeks into my freedom- my Dad died unexpectedly. What came next was indescribable DEPRESSION and a