Skip to main content

Pandamonium

Hard at work at Deep Ellum Arts Fest 2014 painting in the 4 hour mural competition

A gentle rain is falling softly over Dallas. A peace has settled over the sleepy house that just yesterday was awash in chaos as I quickly mixed latex colors, packed cans of spray paint into luggage carriers and ran down a mental checklist of all supplies I could possibly need to accomplish something stressful.... A four hour mural!

Giant panda mural in progress at Deep Ellum Arts Fest: Tunnelvisions Mural Tournament

A whole host of great talent was asked to participate in this tournament, the very first one of its kind at the Fest. All artists were given a 4 x 8 foot board and allotted time slots to paint. Everyone had 4 hours to finish.
The prizes include cash (over $1000 to first place!) And various gifts from sponsors such as a stay at the Omni hotel. That would be cool but I would love to stay at my house for another month so I hope one of the cash prizes falls into my lap so I can pay rent this month!

This is the practice Mural I did the day before the contest. It was a beautiful sunny day, perfect for painting outside and the total opposite of Saturday... Grey, chilly and rainy. I wanted to see what  I could actually do in four hours, what would be problematic and what could be faster. I also wanted to work out my color scheme. If you are familiar with my work you know it's many painstaking hours and layers and liner work. Had to totally switch gears for this big piece.
I've been low on cash but had to get supplies so tried to keep it cheap at home depot. A few cans of spray paint and some cans of latex... I tried to ease the wound by telling myself I now have some supplies for future work no matter what.
I was lucky my buddies at Eyecon let me use their projector and pounce machine so I could get my design up in large scale fashion. 
I based my design on my panda I've been doing on vinyl records. 

I wanted to make sure the composition worked and there was a background and foreground and lots of color to create a happy bright vibe.
Because of the rain the last fifteen minutes of competing was a wash. I just signed my name quickly and put the work in the dark recesses of Club Clear view with everyone else's. There was more I could've done but whaddya do?
It was great fun painting with the others, I never do live painting and these contests are super stressful to me sometimes. But met some nice new friends and a bird who liked my painting so much he dropped two giant loads on it, same spot in one hour! Some people who witnessed it said it was lucky in Japan!
Double luck! Poop Poop!
I forgot to take a photo of the finished piece! Yes! Me! Facebook posting queen! So today when I go up to hear the winners announced I'll snap a few.
From 3-4 today you have the chance to vote in the People's Choice awards. Winners announced at 4. The location is on Crowdus, between Main and Elm. Across from Serious Pizza. All the works will be displayed and eventually dispersed around.
Hope you enjoyed the behind the scenes look at competing, preparing, designing and tearing your house up in the name of Art. Working on my knees and contorted for two days has me walking like I'm 90 and indulging in Epsom baths. I think I did the equivalent of 500 squats!
Ouch!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jim Rockford was keeping me broke

Ah Rockford files, a comfortable and silly way to unwind after work. Yes, I am completely aware that I've turned into my Dad and watching Dad shows totally cements that theory. I had to start looking at the handsome James Garner in a new light though... He was a rich and famous star in his time and every evening spent curled up watching Rockford Files was an evening a painting wasn't getting worked on. No painting, no art show material. No painting, no galleries. No painting, no money. Would James Garner be watching TV every evening in a tired drowsy ball and not getting stuff done? Probably not.  So I pulled myself away from TV land in the evenings and devoted at least a little time in the mornings as well. Even if it's just ten minutes. Even if you are just filling in all the blacks, blues or whatever... It is progress. Something is better than nothing. I'm proud to say this little habit tweak has totally kicked my butt into gear and I'm producing at a rate I'

How I had the best art year

  This was the year I got rejection letters from every open call I applied to. Granted, it wasn't very many I applied to because I am very picky about what I sign up for AND I am also very jaded about these things of late.  However, this was my best art year to date and I kinda love that it was all rejection notices this year and I STILL HAD THE BEST ART YEAR EVER. Takeaway: Today's open calls are very "agenda based" and the jurors they choose to judge have their agendas. Some want more millennials and younger artists and shun the older artists, some want you to tackle race, gender identity, politics, feminist, pro this or that.... And my art does not. I'm going to stick by  my "Nature is more important than most bullshit" stance till I die because the very atom of life and Nature is more important in my eyes than most of the stuff humans do to feel more important than another group.  But I digress! I did not get into the velvet rope clubs and it was gre

The Backstory- cliff notes edition

  Skip navigation  little backstory I was totally working for myself as an artist and you know what? It was HARD! Harder than hard and harder than any job ever. But it was the most rewarding experience and I learned so much about so many things and I want to share that knowledge with you guys... My VIP art club. I didn't get a fair shake from the very beginning of my art career. I suffered a back injury at my "muggle" job which required a lot of physical therapy to get over and which I will have with me forever now. It was actually the impetus for me to quit my job and start being an artist! So I turned my bad luck into fuel for my fire. I saved 5k (painstakingly while enduring all the BS at a terrible job) and then I made the leap. I was so excited and optimistic about working for myself! I had sold little pieces here and there and was sure it was only upwards from there. 2 weeks into my freedom- my Dad died unexpectedly. What came next was indescribable DEPRESSION and a