Skip to main content

The Age of Upgrade

BIG BATCH OF HAND PAINTED WAX FOR SAN FRANCISCO

I wanted to do a  blog about the upgrade I'm doing and why. Because I am an artist and not a business person I have been lax on so many things I shouldn't have been and caused myself a lot of headaches. This was a year of growing pains for my business and days before my birthday I decided my new age of 39 would be one of grand changes.
For starters...I'm typing this on an old Android phone. It's the only equipment I have. My old Mac finally gave up the ghost and I can no longer do any graphic designing in Photoshop or even save files. This will need to be upgraded, I need a computer.
Let's talk about vinyl though...I started doing the vinyl about 6 years ago and they were pretty basic novice attempts at painting on vinyl. After many experiments, failures and tons of practice... I have brought them into their own. They started as $30 discs and climbed as I got better. I marked everything DOWN to $50 this year and it was a mixed blessing. Firstly I got so many orders that the rest of my month is booked solid. That would be great if I had not had a giant mural project to get into in the middle of all the orders. Overwhelmed much? Yes. But grateful. I figured it was a Summer of learning. And learning I did.
The brutal hot sun coupled with some chemistry and careless postal workers taught me some new lessons with the vinyl. 


One...I had to upgrade my acrylic gloss protector as something else I had been using for years was suddenly reacting to the base coat paint. All my hard work was ruined on a couple of discs the minute the gloss hit the paint. Gloss upgrade meant more $. 
Two...I had been using media mail to save my customers money. Until I discovered it was taking upwards of two weeks for packages to arrive when sent locally even..Dallas to Ft Worth was two weeks with an inexplicable delay somewhere. This would not do. Speedy postage meant more $.
Records boxes for shipping = more money.
The brutal hot sun wreaked havoc on a few discs, it reactivated the gloss and made it stick to the paper sleeves. This caused damage I had to fix. I now take this added precaution of wax paper inserts in with your discs, this means more money. 
A careless post office worker must have thrown my package of discs at one point because I had to repaint a broken Kurt Cobain at my expense. No insurance on package...My lesson learned.

Add into all this that anything a person could ask for all crammed onto one record...They did. "Could you paint gumby?" would turn into "can you paint Gumby in Carravaggio style kissing Mona Lisa while fireworks go off in the background and add my little sister in there and my band logo"  Ohhh and it's a gift so I need it like tomorrow.
"QUE? JOO NEEDIT WHEN?"


That's an exaggerated example but not far from the truth. So I learned how long each thing took to paint and how to charge for it accordingly. Like adding text is $10 extra and any complicated logos we will discuss further. Adding extra people next to Gumby is more time..which means more money.
So far since the price change I've had two people ask the price of records and when I said $75 they disappeared. I've had one who has a complex project worth $125 readily say YES PLEASE. And that's what I want and appreciate...someone who appreciates my labor and time, all the headaches I've been through the hard way to bring you..YOU..The best I possibly can. 
In brief here's what your record goes through with me:
I get a disc and clean it of any dust, etc.
I base coat primer the background colors to your choice. It then dries (cures) for at least 24 hrs.
While drying I take the image you sent me and make a drawing from it scaled up to be visually striking on the disc. Then I transfer that drawing to the disc and...The magic happens. I sit there for hours HAND PAINTING your record, some things require glazes and glazes (like portrait work, faces, flesh tones) and everything requires multiple layers of paint that I speed up drying time with a hair dryer on.
When it's finished it gets a little attachment piece put on the back and it's taken back outside for gloss protecting, multiple coats...Then it needs about 48 hours to cure before it can be ready for shipping.
Shipping entails putting it into a sleeve with wax paper inserts, bubble wrap or appropriate padding and I hand write a thank you note before sealing the whole thing up, labeling it and driving or biking to the post office to send it out to you.
Simple. And definitely worth $75 thank you very much :-)



Comments

  1. $75 is cheap. You deserve $100 each, at least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. $75 is cheap. You deserve $100 each, at least.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That will be upgrade #2 for sure! :-) people like baby steps

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool art work, thanks for the share! Love reading your blog!
    Gigi

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jim Rockford was keeping me broke

Ah Rockford files, a comfortable and silly way to unwind after work. Yes, I am completely aware that I've turned into my Dad and watching Dad shows totally cements that theory. I had to start looking at the handsome James Garner in a new light though... He was a rich and famous star in his time and every evening spent curled up watching Rockford Files was an evening a painting wasn't getting worked on. No painting, no art show material. No painting, no galleries. No painting, no money. Would James Garner be watching TV every evening in a tired drowsy ball and not getting stuff done? Probably not.  So I pulled myself away from TV land in the evenings and devoted at least a little time in the mornings as well. Even if it's just ten minutes. Even if you are just filling in all the blacks, blues or whatever... It is progress. Something is better than nothing. I'm proud to say this little habit tweak has totally kicked my butt into gear and I'm producing at a rate I'

How I had the best art year

  This was the year I got rejection letters from every open call I applied to. Granted, it wasn't very many I applied to because I am very picky about what I sign up for AND I am also very jaded about these things of late.  However, this was my best art year to date and I kinda love that it was all rejection notices this year and I STILL HAD THE BEST ART YEAR EVER. Takeaway: Today's open calls are very "agenda based" and the jurors they choose to judge have their agendas. Some want more millennials and younger artists and shun the older artists, some want you to tackle race, gender identity, politics, feminist, pro this or that.... And my art does not. I'm going to stick by  my "Nature is more important than most bullshit" stance till I die because the very atom of life and Nature is more important in my eyes than most of the stuff humans do to feel more important than another group.  But I digress! I did not get into the velvet rope clubs and it was gre

The Backstory- cliff notes edition

  Skip navigation  little backstory I was totally working for myself as an artist and you know what? It was HARD! Harder than hard and harder than any job ever. But it was the most rewarding experience and I learned so much about so many things and I want to share that knowledge with you guys... My VIP art club. I didn't get a fair shake from the very beginning of my art career. I suffered a back injury at my "muggle" job which required a lot of physical therapy to get over and which I will have with me forever now. It was actually the impetus for me to quit my job and start being an artist! So I turned my bad luck into fuel for my fire. I saved 5k (painstakingly while enduring all the BS at a terrible job) and then I made the leap. I was so excited and optimistic about working for myself! I had sold little pieces here and there and was sure it was only upwards from there. 2 weeks into my freedom- my Dad died unexpectedly. What came next was indescribable DEPRESSION and a