Skip to main content

All You Need Is...

The iconic Peter Max

After dropping off art at Rising Gallery yesterday I remembered hearing about Peter Max having a show in town somewhere nearby. It seemed like a good day to hunt it down....after lunch. I had my first Twisted Root experience. It was good and the way they call you a celebrity name at the counter was funny. Although I was not thrilled with my name. Everyone else when called to the counter had a funny little joke, quote or lyric with theirs. Mine was simply called out straight and really what else can you say with a name like PINK. PINK?!?!?!  Ha! 
At the drink machine I saw the word root beer and filled her up. I took a drink, this was supposed to be amazing root beer. What filled my mouth was not the taste of root beer at all. I was dizzy for a second as pure sugar rushed through my blood. What was this taste....so familiar...almost like cream soda, kinda like root beer but...no...it was...BUBBLE GUM! Then I spied a little piece of paper taped above the root beer sign that said BUBBLE GUM ROOT BEER. I felt like I was a 5 year old again discovering the first pure tastes with newborn tastebuds. It was amazing and sweet, I had to have a refill and walk out the door with the straw permanently attached to my lips.
Then it was off to find the candy colored world of Peter Max. Oh it was at the Crescent lah dee dah! I felt frumpy all of a sudden. Oh well! Found the gallery Wisby-Smith, hadn't ever been there, and without realizing the show wasn't even fully hung yet went inside where the proprietor told us nicely to have fun looking around while he kept installing. Room after room of Peter Max. I of course loved the old familiar images, the ones that brought yellow submarines and blue meanies to mind. Some of the stuff was cranked...as one can do if you are Peter Max. Heres a quick render of a heart with my name by it...and that will be 2 grand sir! Hell yes, Peter Max you have it made. Talked to the guy running the gallery for a bit and dropped him my card to let him know about my art show this Friday. Peter Max will actually be in town at the show this weekend. Im contemplating going. Actvually Peter Max is influential in my work, the psychedelic colors and flat graphic style  has always appealed to me. But when people see my work I get a very interesting and recurring statement "Your work looks Asian". I think thats pretty interesting. I LOVE Asian art but have never purposely tried to mimic it. Murakami is awesome, the scale, detail, flatness, colors. But whats most interesting to me about that statement is that one of the most influential things that guided my newest works were in fact the Tibetan monks who do the sand mandalas.

After I saw the way they work tirelessly, lovingly, so intently and PATIENTLY on filling the beautiful design with grains of sand that is only going to be destroyed...it changed my approach to things. Give it your all. Take your time. Love it. It is an extension of you and although I don't aim to destroy my work anytime soon it is temporary just as I am. It will be here after I'm gone (hopefully) so it should reflect me, my heart. It is my creation, why would I half ass it? So I too work tirelessly, lining, layering, filling in colors completely- two, three times, perfecting as best I can and most importantly learning much in the process. Learning patience and that all you need is love for what you are doing. Quite simply.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jim Rockford was keeping me broke

Ah Rockford files, a comfortable and silly way to unwind after work. Yes, I am completely aware that I've turned into my Dad and watching Dad shows totally cements that theory. I had to start looking at the handsome James Garner in a new light though... He was a rich and famous star in his time and every evening spent curled up watching Rockford Files was an evening a painting wasn't getting worked on. No painting, no art show material. No painting, no galleries. No painting, no money. Would James Garner be watching TV every evening in a tired drowsy ball and not getting stuff done? Probably not.  So I pulled myself away from TV land in the evenings and devoted at least a little time in the mornings as well. Even if it's just ten minutes. Even if you are just filling in all the blacks, blues or whatever... It is progress. Something is better than nothing. I'm proud to say this little habit tweak has totally kicked my butt into gear and I'm producing at a rate I'

How I had the best art year

  This was the year I got rejection letters from every open call I applied to. Granted, it wasn't very many I applied to because I am very picky about what I sign up for AND I am also very jaded about these things of late.  However, this was my best art year to date and I kinda love that it was all rejection notices this year and I STILL HAD THE BEST ART YEAR EVER. Takeaway: Today's open calls are very "agenda based" and the jurors they choose to judge have their agendas. Some want more millennials and younger artists and shun the older artists, some want you to tackle race, gender identity, politics, feminist, pro this or that.... And my art does not. I'm going to stick by  my "Nature is more important than most bullshit" stance till I die because the very atom of life and Nature is more important in my eyes than most of the stuff humans do to feel more important than another group.  But I digress! I did not get into the velvet rope clubs and it was gre

The Backstory- cliff notes edition

  Skip navigation  little backstory I was totally working for myself as an artist and you know what? It was HARD! Harder than hard and harder than any job ever. But it was the most rewarding experience and I learned so much about so many things and I want to share that knowledge with you guys... My VIP art club. I didn't get a fair shake from the very beginning of my art career. I suffered a back injury at my "muggle" job which required a lot of physical therapy to get over and which I will have with me forever now. It was actually the impetus for me to quit my job and start being an artist! So I turned my bad luck into fuel for my fire. I saved 5k (painstakingly while enduring all the BS at a terrible job) and then I made the leap. I was so excited and optimistic about working for myself! I had sold little pieces here and there and was sure it was only upwards from there. 2 weeks into my freedom- my Dad died unexpectedly. What came next was indescribable DEPRESSION and a