Skip to main content

From Lemons to Lemonade

Oak Cliff Native and Artist Patricia Rodriguez teams up with local Mom n Daughter bag designing company to spread Art, Nature and a Can Do spirit

When I first got a snarky comment from what I call an "internet troll" about my artwork looking like "bedsheets" I wondered why someone would bother joining my fan page just to be negative. When it happened again, same troll....I decided to use this negative energy and take her words to heart. After all, my art would look great on fabrics and textiles right?
Her negative comments coupled with lots of supportive ones fueled me to figure out just how to get my art printed to fabric. Once that was done... Then what?
This painting of mine...
Became this dress! 
Thanks to my super talented fashion designer friend Gloria Rose for the amazing dress made from my design, I could now literally WEAR my art to my art receptions!
But how to make sure others could enjoy a little piece of my art?
By now I already had a lot of interest from fans wanting my work in textile format. But I was a little stuck...
(Model:Melissa Meaow. Photography: Andy Epps Photography)

Until I met just the right ladies, who had the same Can Do spirit as me and they were right in my neighborhood!
I met Debbie Do And Ali, Too through a fellow I went to college with, Mister Andy Epps.... Who had since turned into a wonderful photographer. Turns out his wife and mother in law have a small DIY business making bags..... This was just the ticket!
After one meeting with Deborah and Ali... and a margarita, I put my art fabrics in their hands and was amazed when they created the Spring Bunny Tote line...
Bunny Tote in Green

Bunny Tote in Blue
And they also really amazed with the Spring Butterflies Tote in sumptuous fabrics and detailing...
Purple Rustle Satin tote features satin lining, art fabric is organic cotton sateen

Tiered Lilac features hand sewn tiering detail in a lovely lilac cotton blend
Original Painting "Black Butterflies" acrylic, spray paint on canvas


I was truly amazed! I love that this Mom n Daughter team share their love of sewing and creating TOGETHER! And I was fortunate we all live in the same 'hood....talk about keeping it local!
People have been ordering and we already have our first public event set at Oak Cliff Earth Day on April 12. We hope you'll join us, come see our totes and passion in person as we celebrate Nature and our lovely planet. We will have special editions of the totes featuring up cycled materials as well. 
So what do you get when you get one of these little totes? You get to support a starving artists dreams  so she can create, paint and keep putting Art in the world. You get to support a Mom and Daughter small business who believe in up cycled goods to help the planet...and you get to support the notion that someone's negative comment can in fact be turned around to create something good and happy in the world. 
I'll let you know when the line of bed sheets comes out!
To preorder your Tote visit: 
Happy to do custom colors for you! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jim Rockford was keeping me broke

Ah Rockford files, a comfortable and silly way to unwind after work. Yes, I am completely aware that I've turned into my Dad and watching Dad shows totally cements that theory. I had to start looking at the handsome James Garner in a new light though... He was a rich and famous star in his time and every evening spent curled up watching Rockford Files was an evening a painting wasn't getting worked on. No painting, no art show material. No painting, no galleries. No painting, no money. Would James Garner be watching TV every evening in a tired drowsy ball and not getting stuff done? Probably not.  So I pulled myself away from TV land in the evenings and devoted at least a little time in the mornings as well. Even if it's just ten minutes. Even if you are just filling in all the blacks, blues or whatever... It is progress. Something is better than nothing. I'm proud to say this little habit tweak has totally kicked my butt into gear and I'm producing at a rate I'

How I had the best art year

  This was the year I got rejection letters from every open call I applied to. Granted, it wasn't very many I applied to because I am very picky about what I sign up for AND I am also very jaded about these things of late.  However, this was my best art year to date and I kinda love that it was all rejection notices this year and I STILL HAD THE BEST ART YEAR EVER. Takeaway: Today's open calls are very "agenda based" and the jurors they choose to judge have their agendas. Some want more millennials and younger artists and shun the older artists, some want you to tackle race, gender identity, politics, feminist, pro this or that.... And my art does not. I'm going to stick by  my "Nature is more important than most bullshit" stance till I die because the very atom of life and Nature is more important in my eyes than most of the stuff humans do to feel more important than another group.  But I digress! I did not get into the velvet rope clubs and it was gre

The Backstory- cliff notes edition

  Skip navigation  little backstory I was totally working for myself as an artist and you know what? It was HARD! Harder than hard and harder than any job ever. But it was the most rewarding experience and I learned so much about so many things and I want to share that knowledge with you guys... My VIP art club. I didn't get a fair shake from the very beginning of my art career. I suffered a back injury at my "muggle" job which required a lot of physical therapy to get over and which I will have with me forever now. It was actually the impetus for me to quit my job and start being an artist! So I turned my bad luck into fuel for my fire. I saved 5k (painstakingly while enduring all the BS at a terrible job) and then I made the leap. I was so excited and optimistic about working for myself! I had sold little pieces here and there and was sure it was only upwards from there. 2 weeks into my freedom- my Dad died unexpectedly. What came next was indescribable DEPRESSION and a