Skip to main content

Pumpkin weather and Just Being



As I embarked on my "Retreat Week" the only distinct plan was to follow these points:
1. Don't plan anything solid. This week was about letting life unfold naturally. Aside from a few things I want to enjoy in the week (a concert, the monks visit, lots of painting,etc) the only real "plan" is to be very mindful and enjoy a great week. However spontaneous that may be.
2. Stay off the internet as much as possible if its not "work related". And especially NO POSTING. This is a week of quiet. Non reaction. Inner stillness.

I decided to prepare on Sunday by telling all my friends what I was doing then taking care of some mundane loose ends so they would be done and off my brain.
Sunday- TCB day.....did my taxes! Feels so good to get that out of my hair. Highlights of the day were taco lunch with bestie and getting caught in a glorious rain shower and getting soaked. Blessed by rain, amazing to just slow walk and enjoy the sensation. Now that taxes are done the week is open for my retreat.
Two days of glorious rain, I opened the doors and windows to fully enjoy it...

Monday- slowing it down with slow cooker  stew and baked sweet potatoes. I love cooking when Im in the mood for it so getting in the kitchen and prepping a few meals worth was nice. An unexpected job popped up (always welcome!) and although no personal painting happened today it was a laid back day taking care of business, enjoying the rainstorms and some catnaps. I also backed up a ton of photos and cleared space on my phone before 6 am. Who is this productive person? 😝 Space on my phone means I can post videos next week 🙌

Tuesday- oh so much rain but how glorious to be home to enjoy the dim house and music it plays against the windows. The plan was to meet up to see the monks with a friend but the plan fell through. Instead I worked on getting prints matted for the open studio and upcoming selling season. Monks will happen Thursday if all goes well ✌ Productive cozy day, made potato and chicken salad and cleaned out the fridge. Being offline has given me SO MUCH TIME back...everything is getting done! I feel rested and peaceful 🌞
Getting prints matted for open studios!

Wednesday- Looking forward to a good workout, studio time and Bob Dylan is tonight! 
I bought tickets a long time ago when I had money for such things. Now in my frugal days I can enjoy a night out and feel abundant. Not posting anything online and not looking at the internet is becoming easier by the day. *The Dylan show was great. No photography or cellphones allowed so it was easy to be mindful. ✌



Thursday- Today is the birthday of Thich Nhat Hahn, one of my favorite monks. Its only befitting today is the day to see the monks making the sand mandala. The weather has turned cool and gorgeous- a great day for an outing. I try to see the monks making the mandala every year. It was actually one of the things that got me painting again once upon a time. Their patience and dedication to their art is beyond phenomenal.



I was lucky to catch them while such a cool art show was going on. The Jacob Hashimoto show is up until April. He does beautiful installations and printwork. "Nuvole" was the big cloud-like installation that hung above the monks as they worked.


Its made of so many little disks of wood and silk. If I thought that was impressive I was in love with the downstairs gallery showcasing more...
Woodblock prints...so many




Beautiful layers upon layers...Ive always been a sucker for the most tedious looking work. Between the attention to detail in Hashimotos work and the extreme patience of the monks- I was remembering my "go deep" aesthetic once again. 
After the Crow Collection of Asian Arts I visited my old haunt - the DMA. I worked all my youth away in that building. 😝 This was where I hurt my back in 2009 and left my job to be AN ARTIST! Saw lots of old friends and a cool exhibit called "Cult of the Machine". 
Charles Scheeler "Golden Gate Bridge"

Its an amazing show that warrants a couple of visits. Precision paintings that illustrate the machine age. Think Georgia O Keefe only painted flowers? Think again- she has some impressive work in this show along with greats like Gerald Murphy, Demuth and many others.
It was a whole day of art and Tibetan monks and a journey to old places as a new person.



The monks painstakingly creating the sand mandala...they will destroy this weekend. Impermanence and its deep lesson.

Work in progress

Friday- woke up not feeling 100%. I think I've been battling an infection and decided that while I was still functional I should prep meals...just in case. Made a big pot of chicken soup-one of my best yet- and threw some chicken into a crockpot to slow cook. So if things do go downwards- meal planning won't be one of my concerns. But fingers crossed I stay up 🙏 hopefully some antibiotics fly my way next week and everything goes back to normal. Taking it easy today.
All art is on sale in my Shopify shop right now, 20% off... use code PUMPKIN

Saturday- I actually had to pop back onto social media and put up some promos for my Shopify shop. Ah the life of a freelance artist- you have to go fishing every day if you want to eat. 
Theres an odd pain in my side but I did get antibiotics so hopefully it cures the ailments. Looking forward to a mellow weekend taking care of business and healing. ✌
Things I learned this week or thoughts Im pondering on now: 
*We have an inherent need to have an audience these days. Not posting or reacting for a week was hard but liberating. You learn the art of silence, savoring things for YOURSELF and not having instant gratification via likes. 
*If your business is an online thing (like mine) its very hard to do this and still keep your electricity on and food on the table.
*I did it- for the most part. Unfortunately my funds are just too low to not hawk prints and art right now...but achieving balance is what Im seeking and it was a necessary challenge. 
I'll be practicing the art of silence more often online and "deferred satisfaction". ✌Enjoy the weekend and stay healthy friends ✌

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jim Rockford was keeping me broke

Ah Rockford files, a comfortable and silly way to unwind after work. Yes, I am completely aware that I've turned into my Dad and watching Dad shows totally cements that theory. I had to start looking at the handsome James Garner in a new light though... He was a rich and famous star in his time and every evening spent curled up watching Rockford Files was an evening a painting wasn't getting worked on. No painting, no art show material. No painting, no galleries. No painting, no money. Would James Garner be watching TV every evening in a tired drowsy ball and not getting stuff done? Probably not.  So I pulled myself away from TV land in the evenings and devoted at least a little time in the mornings as well. Even if it's just ten minutes. Even if you are just filling in all the blacks, blues or whatever... It is progress. Something is better than nothing. I'm proud to say this little habit tweak has totally kicked my butt into gear and I'm producing at a rate I'

How I had the best art year

  This was the year I got rejection letters from every open call I applied to. Granted, it wasn't very many I applied to because I am very picky about what I sign up for AND I am also very jaded about these things of late.  However, this was my best art year to date and I kinda love that it was all rejection notices this year and I STILL HAD THE BEST ART YEAR EVER. Takeaway: Today's open calls are very "agenda based" and the jurors they choose to judge have their agendas. Some want more millennials and younger artists and shun the older artists, some want you to tackle race, gender identity, politics, feminist, pro this or that.... And my art does not. I'm going to stick by  my "Nature is more important than most bullshit" stance till I die because the very atom of life and Nature is more important in my eyes than most of the stuff humans do to feel more important than another group.  But I digress! I did not get into the velvet rope clubs and it was gre

The Backstory- cliff notes edition

  Skip navigation  little backstory I was totally working for myself as an artist and you know what? It was HARD! Harder than hard and harder than any job ever. But it was the most rewarding experience and I learned so much about so many things and I want to share that knowledge with you guys... My VIP art club. I didn't get a fair shake from the very beginning of my art career. I suffered a back injury at my "muggle" job which required a lot of physical therapy to get over and which I will have with me forever now. It was actually the impetus for me to quit my job and start being an artist! So I turned my bad luck into fuel for my fire. I saved 5k (painstakingly while enduring all the BS at a terrible job) and then I made the leap. I was so excited and optimistic about working for myself! I had sold little pieces here and there and was sure it was only upwards from there. 2 weeks into my freedom- my Dad died unexpectedly. What came next was indescribable DEPRESSION and a