Skip to main content

Advice You Didn't Ask For

Detail from "The Path of Diligence"

Throughout the year a couple of people, a handful... have asked me questions about "making it in the art world". I will say this: I have yet to "make it" in the art world. I am however perfectly HAPPY making art in my world. Being a freelance artist is hard and getting more complicated I am realizing. You see- if you have a goal AS  I DO....which is to create your own personal body of work to show in a gallery when it is all said and done then what your most valuable asset is- is TIME. You need time to create, you need supplies to create with. You also must remember that really minor detail- paying your rent, bills and eating. So herein lies the conundrum. You must drum up business constantly to make the money to fund not just your art projects but your basic existence.
Oh if we lived in an age of art patrons! Wishful thinking, but I digress. Here is some advice I had to dish out this year and maybe it will serve you in some way, form or fashion.

1. Be Diligent. Just like the painting is titled. Being an artist means being a busy bee. Worker bee. You're only getting the nectar if you work, work, work. I'm proud of my paintings and they took a lot of work. Each bold bright color was about 2-3 layers of color. This takes time. Also, to clear up a common misconception- I DO NOT USE STENCILS. Those are handpainted with brushes turned at just the right angle and swooped where they needed to swoop and curved where they needed to curve. I don't use circle stencils or any magic tool but a brush. If you use the right brush it will yield the right results. My work is done in acrylic- another question I get asked. These are not digital.

2. Ugh, be Social. I'm a bit of a hermit at heart but I hate to break the news to you- art can be a very social world and unless you're just damn lucky you'll have to go out in it and socialize. Ask questions, meet people, find out who's selling and where. Also, if you're not hitting up your artists friends shows- they won't be hitting up yours. Connect with people on social networks, put yourself out there. People won't know you're an artist unless you show them- repeatedly. It's a ruthless game where people are keeping score unfortunately. But if you love art and are inspired by it- then hit up those  art shows and have fun. That's what it's really about anyway...and it's also part of my next piece of advice....

3. Research. What galleries or venues are showing work that is in your scope/ genre, etc? I know that Contemporary Art galleries are where I want to see my work. I know that comic book conventions are not where my work fits in. Pop into quite a few venues and see what they are showing and the level of art they are showing. You will need to aspire to this.

Then go back to piece of advice number 1 and get all diligent in your studio. 2012 for me was the year to HONE MY CRAFT. Chances are you haven't found your style yet and that takes time, years sometimes...but stay diligent and you will yield results. Also ask yourself very honestly- is this up to my standards? Can I put this out into the world and feel absolutely sure it is a good representation of me? All it takes is one half thrown together painting you zipped off for a charity auction on the quick to make people think of you as THAT artist- messy, not very good but very eager to show something, somewhere. Don't be that artist, go out and shine when you are absolutely ready to.

I hope this has helped in some way. Like I said, I haven't "made it", I'm just struggling but I have become absolutely comfortable with my materials, tools and ideas. I am diligent and work hard, I do my research and balance all that with being social. I make sure my work is up to the standards of where I want to show it. But my best advice is the simplest JUST DO IT even if you don't know what the hell you're doing. There's action or stagnation and you'd opt for the first I'm sure. If success is measured in JOY then I guess I'm successful because getting to do what I love is pure joy. Sometimes what you're chasing is not really the money, fame and whatever hooey the world holds so highly. Sometimes it is just pure happiness being able to do what you love and survive. Go out and JUST DO IT! : )




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jim Rockford was keeping me broke

Ah Rockford files, a comfortable and silly way to unwind after work. Yes, I am completely aware that I've turned into my Dad and watching Dad shows totally cements that theory. I had to start looking at the handsome James Garner in a new light though... He was a rich and famous star in his time and every evening spent curled up watching Rockford Files was an evening a painting wasn't getting worked on. No painting, no art show material. No painting, no galleries. No painting, no money. Would James Garner be watching TV every evening in a tired drowsy ball and not getting stuff done? Probably not.  So I pulled myself away from TV land in the evenings and devoted at least a little time in the mornings as well. Even if it's just ten minutes. Even if you are just filling in all the blacks, blues or whatever... It is progress. Something is better than nothing. I'm proud to say this little habit tweak has totally kicked my butt into gear and I'm producing at a rate I'

How I had the best art year

  This was the year I got rejection letters from every open call I applied to. Granted, it wasn't very many I applied to because I am very picky about what I sign up for AND I am also very jaded about these things of late.  However, this was my best art year to date and I kinda love that it was all rejection notices this year and I STILL HAD THE BEST ART YEAR EVER. Takeaway: Today's open calls are very "agenda based" and the jurors they choose to judge have their agendas. Some want more millennials and younger artists and shun the older artists, some want you to tackle race, gender identity, politics, feminist, pro this or that.... And my art does not. I'm going to stick by  my "Nature is more important than most bullshit" stance till I die because the very atom of life and Nature is more important in my eyes than most of the stuff humans do to feel more important than another group.  But I digress! I did not get into the velvet rope clubs and it was gre

The Backstory- cliff notes edition

  Skip navigation  little backstory I was totally working for myself as an artist and you know what? It was HARD! Harder than hard and harder than any job ever. But it was the most rewarding experience and I learned so much about so many things and I want to share that knowledge with you guys... My VIP art club. I didn't get a fair shake from the very beginning of my art career. I suffered a back injury at my "muggle" job which required a lot of physical therapy to get over and which I will have with me forever now. It was actually the impetus for me to quit my job and start being an artist! So I turned my bad luck into fuel for my fire. I saved 5k (painstakingly while enduring all the BS at a terrible job) and then I made the leap. I was so excited and optimistic about working for myself! I had sold little pieces here and there and was sure it was only upwards from there. 2 weeks into my freedom- my Dad died unexpectedly. What came next was indescribable DEPRESSION and a