Skip to main content

Art Avalanche! Disastre!

"Mick" acrylic on vinyl record... on view now at The Wine Therapist

It's very strange to have ALL your art out of the house. I kind of feel like I must create more just to put some color and soul back into my studio. Today I'm going to clean the studio and make a list of stuff I am out of and sketch out new ideas for upcoming work. I have a few commissions trickling in and I'm starting to see more OPEN CALLS I want to jump in on so there is lots to do! I've also been invited to contribute some work to a local shop so that's also on my plate...FALL IS THE BUSY SEASON! And it looks like it's already begun!
I dropped off some work to be photographed last week and was pleasantly surprised when the place called me back and asked me to participate in their Fall Gallery Walk on OCT 13. They are a FINE ART and PRINT shop and the clientele definitely seems to have money to spend. It's nice to feel wanted. : ) It's a neat place too, way out in McKinney TX. Very historic and old feeling, makes you feel like you're on vacation with little quaint fudge shops and upscale boutiques and interesting art everywhere. It will be a nice change of pace. 
I almost forgot why I was writing this blog....yesterday I had a DISASTER happen and I wanted to share it so it doesn't happen to you. Not that it would because it's probably highly unlikely you're painting on a record but just in case. At any rate you will know that accidents and disasters DO happen to artists and you just have to learn from your mistakes and don't cry.
So I had just finished this record for an auction, it was paid for and everything and DONE
All it needed was a shiny glossy protective coat...so I took it outside and sprayed it and noticed that one section started bubbling in the blue border. It was kind of hard to tell exactly what it was doing so I thought spraying a little more gloss would smooth it out. No. NOPE. BAD IDEA. It was actually turning the paint into a little "skin" and crinkling away from the record making a bumpy surface. Not cool. Not sleek. Not MOD. BUMPY. Ok there's no way to fix that. I tried taking the skin off and repainting. NO. BAD IDEA. SO what do you do?
YOU START OVER HONEY BUNNIES YOU START ALLLLLLLL OVER!
Yep. Had to recreate that one to a t. And I did. Yes I did. And did I curse? Oh hell yes I did but I did it. When that one was done it got MOD PODGED by hand. Sometimes doing things the long and inconvenient way is the best way to go. So there you have it kids, your science lesson for the day. KRYLON SPRAY VARNISH is a stupid poopy head. It doesn't play well with weird obscure navy blue paint I won't be buying anymore. Have you had some fun disasters? I wanna know!
So this ruined one will now serve as an experiment and reminder...I'm going to try some faux rusting on the messed up spot and try to make this look like a metal sign. Someday. When I have time.
Ok, ciao chilluns- have a great day!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jim Rockford was keeping me broke

Ah Rockford files, a comfortable and silly way to unwind after work. Yes, I am completely aware that I've turned into my Dad and watching Dad shows totally cements that theory. I had to start looking at the handsome James Garner in a new light though... He was a rich and famous star in his time and every evening spent curled up watching Rockford Files was an evening a painting wasn't getting worked on. No painting, no art show material. No painting, no galleries. No painting, no money. Would James Garner be watching TV every evening in a tired drowsy ball and not getting stuff done? Probably not.  So I pulled myself away from TV land in the evenings and devoted at least a little time in the mornings as well. Even if it's just ten minutes. Even if you are just filling in all the blacks, blues or whatever... It is progress. Something is better than nothing. I'm proud to say this little habit tweak has totally kicked my butt into gear and I'm producing at a rate I'

How I had the best art year

  This was the year I got rejection letters from every open call I applied to. Granted, it wasn't very many I applied to because I am very picky about what I sign up for AND I am also very jaded about these things of late.  However, this was my best art year to date and I kinda love that it was all rejection notices this year and I STILL HAD THE BEST ART YEAR EVER. Takeaway: Today's open calls are very "agenda based" and the jurors they choose to judge have their agendas. Some want more millennials and younger artists and shun the older artists, some want you to tackle race, gender identity, politics, feminist, pro this or that.... And my art does not. I'm going to stick by  my "Nature is more important than most bullshit" stance till I die because the very atom of life and Nature is more important in my eyes than most of the stuff humans do to feel more important than another group.  But I digress! I did not get into the velvet rope clubs and it was gre

The Backstory- cliff notes edition

  Skip navigation  little backstory I was totally working for myself as an artist and you know what? It was HARD! Harder than hard and harder than any job ever. But it was the most rewarding experience and I learned so much about so many things and I want to share that knowledge with you guys... My VIP art club. I didn't get a fair shake from the very beginning of my art career. I suffered a back injury at my "muggle" job which required a lot of physical therapy to get over and which I will have with me forever now. It was actually the impetus for me to quit my job and start being an artist! So I turned my bad luck into fuel for my fire. I saved 5k (painstakingly while enduring all the BS at a terrible job) and then I made the leap. I was so excited and optimistic about working for myself! I had sold little pieces here and there and was sure it was only upwards from there. 2 weeks into my freedom- my Dad died unexpectedly. What came next was indescribable DEPRESSION and a