Skip to main content

The calm during the storm

Fist Pumps!

Cool rainy weather has hit Dallas. Just in time for the opening of the State Fair of Texas and Oktoberfest...which I just happened to be at yesterday by happenstance. Oktoberfest that is, not the Fair. No, I did not have any bier. I did have a fun time walking around between biergartens and weiner dog races in the rain with good company though! I had to drop off my piece "FLOURISH" to a place in McKinney Tx called ORISONS who will be having a gallery walk in a few weeks. There were a lot of people down there for the festivities so they wanted the work to show off to all the traffic.
It's been quite a week(end) and I just wanted to pop off a blog to say thanks to everyone who has been supporting by coming to the shows and making purchases and just high fiving me on facebook, etc. THANKS SO MUCH! I've been working my tail off in the studio- that's the part you don't see...but hopefully you can see it in my work when it's done. All the time put in. :O
So when I have a show like I did on Friday night at Wine Therapist and stuff is selling and practically flying off the walls- it makes me super giddy and appreciative. I'll let you in on a little secret...As of Friday at 7:30pm I had $100 left to my name in life. I had just loaned $100 to someone who needed it more direly than me. I had some kind of crazy faith that I was going to make a sale or two and be ok. I have to think this way. I can't get stressed out and start freaking out. Somehow, someway it will work out. And it DID! Not only did I sell a whole handful of records, small canvas piece, buttons but at the very end of the night...minutes before I was leaving I got the big daddy sale of the night.
The Path of Intuition....SOLD!
This was the very first time this has been out of the house and I had just hung it a few hours before it was bought. Thank you little magic bat! Thank you Intuition for guiding me along! I'm excited it's going to a new home and a little sad it won't get to hang out in other venues for others to see but...I'll make prints and we'll enjoy it still. 
This show will be up for two more weeks if you want to see the works in person!
I'm already working on a piece in this series that will be shown next Saturday at Gallery at Midtown for the Crisscrossing Corridors show. Heres the invite on FACEBOOK, it looks to be a fun mixer with lots of interactives and new works by a nice group of artists as well as a peek into the studios there. So in a nutshell, the storm isn't over quite yet. Is it ever? Here are the dates to keep in mind if you want to come see the new works:
  • OCT 6- CrissCrossing Corridors at Gallery at Midtown
  • OCT 13- FALL GALLERY WALK at ORISONS FINE ART in MCKINNEY TX
McKinney Tx is a wonderful little getaway from Dallas. I've already fallen in love with it's warm little small town vibe. The historic downtown district is nothing but Mom n Pop shops, restaurants and art boutiques and there is no chain anything in sight! It feels a little like Mayberry, it is very welcoming and there are lots of older people there. No young hipsters! HOORAH!
So I'm looking forward to going back for the gallery walk and more yummy food :)
Another thing going on in the studio is BUTTON MANIA! ARGH! My friend ARTBOT 138 made me a whole case of rad buttons from my artwork and record art. 

These have been selling like CRAZYPANTS! So I've been building little sets and have a whole handful of packages to mail tomorrow morning. I took them to the art show on Friday and they were all over everyone at the end of the night. YAY! :D
The only other news I have to impart is that I have been getting a little gallery interest of late. This makes me super happy but you know I must keep my feet on the ground until information is solid. I have been working really hard these last two years to get my paintings up to par for this. I think I'm finally on the right path, in the zone and ready for the challenge. We'll see what happens. Whatever happens you can find me in my studio for now WORKING MY TAIL OFF!
And away I go...got to finish a commission and get that new canvas finished. Have a great weekend everyone!
x
o






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jim Rockford was keeping me broke

Ah Rockford files, a comfortable and silly way to unwind after work. Yes, I am completely aware that I've turned into my Dad and watching Dad shows totally cements that theory. I had to start looking at the handsome James Garner in a new light though... He was a rich and famous star in his time and every evening spent curled up watching Rockford Files was an evening a painting wasn't getting worked on. No painting, no art show material. No painting, no galleries. No painting, no money. Would James Garner be watching TV every evening in a tired drowsy ball and not getting stuff done? Probably not.  So I pulled myself away from TV land in the evenings and devoted at least a little time in the mornings as well. Even if it's just ten minutes. Even if you are just filling in all the blacks, blues or whatever... It is progress. Something is better than nothing. I'm proud to say this little habit tweak has totally kicked my butt into gear and I'm producing at a rate I'

How I had the best art year

  This was the year I got rejection letters from every open call I applied to. Granted, it wasn't very many I applied to because I am very picky about what I sign up for AND I am also very jaded about these things of late.  However, this was my best art year to date and I kinda love that it was all rejection notices this year and I STILL HAD THE BEST ART YEAR EVER. Takeaway: Today's open calls are very "agenda based" and the jurors they choose to judge have their agendas. Some want more millennials and younger artists and shun the older artists, some want you to tackle race, gender identity, politics, feminist, pro this or that.... And my art does not. I'm going to stick by  my "Nature is more important than most bullshit" stance till I die because the very atom of life and Nature is more important in my eyes than most of the stuff humans do to feel more important than another group.  But I digress! I did not get into the velvet rope clubs and it was gre

The Backstory- cliff notes edition

  Skip navigation  little backstory I was totally working for myself as an artist and you know what? It was HARD! Harder than hard and harder than any job ever. But it was the most rewarding experience and I learned so much about so many things and I want to share that knowledge with you guys... My VIP art club. I didn't get a fair shake from the very beginning of my art career. I suffered a back injury at my "muggle" job which required a lot of physical therapy to get over and which I will have with me forever now. It was actually the impetus for me to quit my job and start being an artist! So I turned my bad luck into fuel for my fire. I saved 5k (painstakingly while enduring all the BS at a terrible job) and then I made the leap. I was so excited and optimistic about working for myself! I had sold little pieces here and there and was sure it was only upwards from there. 2 weeks into my freedom- my Dad died unexpectedly. What came next was indescribable DEPRESSION and a