Skip to main content

Is what you do meaningful?

detail from my painting "World of Traceable Ghosts"

I was just recently interviewed by a woman who is doing some reasearch for a possible book, she is studying the meaningfulness of work to different individuals in different fields. It's too long to go into here but we touched on somethings that I wanted to pass on in my blog in case it was helpful at all to anyone. One of the first things she asked me was did I find what I did meaningful and why... and why I decided to do what I do. So here is a bit of what I think on the matter and why I think it's important to find your job in life....not necessarily a JOB in the sense of the word of employment but your task, mission and place.  So let's skip back about three years to when I was still working at a not so very nice place using my physical body and strength to do work that eventually got me injured.
Why I decided to do what I do?
I decided to choose the path of ART because it was in me as much as the air in my lungs, the blood in my veins. When I did Art I was happy, content and at peace. When I did not do art I was unhappy, unsatisfied, lacking and felt sad. It was quite obvious I was miserable to be doing something other than what was INSIDE ME. For a lot of artists and myself included it is a compulsion to create, you just absolutely must. YOU MUST and there's no getting around it. 
I felt expendable as a drone bee. I could just as easily have died and they would have replaced me with the next drone bee in line for the position at old job. Who wants to feel like they are expendable? I don't. I want to feel absolutely needed and important and one of a kind at what I do. I have that with art. I don't have that with hauling someones boxes around while they ask me 30 times a day if I'm doing all the tasks assigned to me. No thanks. Queen Bee of my hive thank you very much.
I wasn't adding at all to the world except sadness. Yep. I'm a firm believer if you are unhappy at your job you are no doubt putting that negative energy right back into the world. I started to despise customers, not thinking of them as people but as annoyances (some of them WERE!) but it was a strange disconnect with my human side to be serving others who were rude and unhappy- it was contagious and I was rude and unhappy back sometimes. It was when I saw all the devastation of Katrina happening on tv and people rushing to go help and aid them that I felt this pull to go help as well. But I couldn't. I was stuck at this job. I couldn't say "Hey Boss, theres some people in the world I need to go help so I'll be back in a week." No, you go on business as usual style like all is well with the world... it's all about making the money machines turn after all. I HATED THAT and my heart hated that. I wasn't helping anyone. I wasn't happy. What was I adding to the world at all?
I knew what I could add to the world to make it a more beautiful place. My Art. I was a creator. A producer. I was compelled. It was in me. It was my gift. Making art because it made me happy AND others happy. People loved my work, it inspired them and motivated them to do their art too?
Really? I could do that? I could touch and connect with people in that way?
What a gift! I'm glad I stopped hiding it away in a basement!
Why is it meaningful to me to create art? For all those reasons. I am needed in the world now. I am needed and people need to feel needed. I don't feel like a solitary miserable person floating around in a black hole somewhere anymore...I feel connected and plugged in to the world and all the people in it.
That is necessary as a human, you need others...you do not survive in a vacuum.
So in a nutshell not everyone is an artist or creator but everyone has in them something- some gift to add to the world. When you aren't in tune with that and aren't freely giving of that gift as often as possible your heart will hurt a little, you will feel a longing... a void you aren't sure how to fill. That is the symptom and you know what the cure is.
Find it. It is there.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jim Rockford was keeping me broke

Ah Rockford files, a comfortable and silly way to unwind after work. Yes, I am completely aware that I've turned into my Dad and watching Dad shows totally cements that theory. I had to start looking at the handsome James Garner in a new light though... He was a rich and famous star in his time and every evening spent curled up watching Rockford Files was an evening a painting wasn't getting worked on. No painting, no art show material. No painting, no galleries. No painting, no money. Would James Garner be watching TV every evening in a tired drowsy ball and not getting stuff done? Probably not.  So I pulled myself away from TV land in the evenings and devoted at least a little time in the mornings as well. Even if it's just ten minutes. Even if you are just filling in all the blacks, blues or whatever... It is progress. Something is better than nothing. I'm proud to say this little habit tweak has totally kicked my butt into gear and I'm producing at a rate I'

How I had the best art year

  This was the year I got rejection letters from every open call I applied to. Granted, it wasn't very many I applied to because I am very picky about what I sign up for AND I am also very jaded about these things of late.  However, this was my best art year to date and I kinda love that it was all rejection notices this year and I STILL HAD THE BEST ART YEAR EVER. Takeaway: Today's open calls are very "agenda based" and the jurors they choose to judge have their agendas. Some want more millennials and younger artists and shun the older artists, some want you to tackle race, gender identity, politics, feminist, pro this or that.... And my art does not. I'm going to stick by  my "Nature is more important than most bullshit" stance till I die because the very atom of life and Nature is more important in my eyes than most of the stuff humans do to feel more important than another group.  But I digress! I did not get into the velvet rope clubs and it was gre

The Backstory- cliff notes edition

  Skip navigation  little backstory I was totally working for myself as an artist and you know what? It was HARD! Harder than hard and harder than any job ever. But it was the most rewarding experience and I learned so much about so many things and I want to share that knowledge with you guys... My VIP art club. I didn't get a fair shake from the very beginning of my art career. I suffered a back injury at my "muggle" job which required a lot of physical therapy to get over and which I will have with me forever now. It was actually the impetus for me to quit my job and start being an artist! So I turned my bad luck into fuel for my fire. I saved 5k (painstakingly while enduring all the BS at a terrible job) and then I made the leap. I was so excited and optimistic about working for myself! I had sold little pieces here and there and was sure it was only upwards from there. 2 weeks into my freedom- my Dad died unexpectedly. What came next was indescribable DEPRESSION and a