Skip to main content

Making lists and making time



Mercury is in retrograde and I'm in observational mode watching things "settle". Much like the leaves, mud and gunk (in the bird fountain outside) needs to settle before you can see what's in there. Thoughts, feelings and life needs to settle before you can see what's in there. Observing- that is my meditation this week. Not reacting- but observing.
I finally got to finish a personal project yesterday! Painting this little pet portrait as a gift to my dear friend. "Ryuoki" was a dear little thing that graced my newsfeed for well over ten years now and I was deeply moved when she left and it also dredged up feelings and memories of my own loss. I never have time to paint as gifts and its always painting for work and money-which bothers me greatly. You should always have time to GIVE to loved ones,friends and family. My life is such a struggle financially that I feel deprived in the real things that matter. So with the mindset that I was making time for personal projects no matter what- I accomplished it. Thank you Ryuoki for reminding me to make time no matter what -for the important things.

Finished this sunshiney bit for Arcadia Brands and I did it from bed while I was laid up. So it's a win for me because I pushed through a rough patch and didn't let the situation defeat me. Now it will be a reminder that I can. You can check out Arcadia Brands here: https://www.arcadiabrands.com/
This piece was designed with Corel Painter and was fun to create and "paint".

Aside from some loose commercial work projects -Ive had time to get back to my work. Namely my 3D wood series I was working on. Turning on the saw again was a blast.
My wooden "bones" waiting for their sanding and painting sessions.

Soon they will become something like this and take over the walls. 
I've made a long list of things to accomplish this week and that should make me way too busy for things like Mercury in Retrograde. Mercury- I just don't have time for you right now! 😁 
I'm also in "get what you give" mode currently. When it starts to feel like people are trying to run over me, dismiss me or interject something needlessly negative- I am playing volleyball with that. You will be served what you're serving right back. 
Right back over the net.
It's time to knock out this list which starts with photographing some work and getting it listed on my Shopify. Do you make lists? Do you find it helpful to productivity? For me it is IMPERATIVE to see it on paper...otherwise its just a passing thought. Putting it on paper is the first step to making it solid and real.
Enjoy the day and the retrograde! 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jim Rockford was keeping me broke

Ah Rockford files, a comfortable and silly way to unwind after work. Yes, I am completely aware that I've turned into my Dad and watching Dad shows totally cements that theory. I had to start looking at the handsome James Garner in a new light though... He was a rich and famous star in his time and every evening spent curled up watching Rockford Files was an evening a painting wasn't getting worked on. No painting, no art show material. No painting, no galleries. No painting, no money. Would James Garner be watching TV every evening in a tired drowsy ball and not getting stuff done? Probably not.  So I pulled myself away from TV land in the evenings and devoted at least a little time in the mornings as well. Even if it's just ten minutes. Even if you are just filling in all the blacks, blues or whatever... It is progress. Something is better than nothing. I'm proud to say this little habit tweak has totally kicked my butt into gear and I'm producing at a rate I'

How I had the best art year

  This was the year I got rejection letters from every open call I applied to. Granted, it wasn't very many I applied to because I am very picky about what I sign up for AND I am also very jaded about these things of late.  However, this was my best art year to date and I kinda love that it was all rejection notices this year and I STILL HAD THE BEST ART YEAR EVER. Takeaway: Today's open calls are very "agenda based" and the jurors they choose to judge have their agendas. Some want more millennials and younger artists and shun the older artists, some want you to tackle race, gender identity, politics, feminist, pro this or that.... And my art does not. I'm going to stick by  my "Nature is more important than most bullshit" stance till I die because the very atom of life and Nature is more important in my eyes than most of the stuff humans do to feel more important than another group.  But I digress! I did not get into the velvet rope clubs and it was gre

The Backstory- cliff notes edition

  Skip navigation  little backstory I was totally working for myself as an artist and you know what? It was HARD! Harder than hard and harder than any job ever. But it was the most rewarding experience and I learned so much about so many things and I want to share that knowledge with you guys... My VIP art club. I didn't get a fair shake from the very beginning of my art career. I suffered a back injury at my "muggle" job which required a lot of physical therapy to get over and which I will have with me forever now. It was actually the impetus for me to quit my job and start being an artist! So I turned my bad luck into fuel for my fire. I saved 5k (painstakingly while enduring all the BS at a terrible job) and then I made the leap. I was so excited and optimistic about working for myself! I had sold little pieces here and there and was sure it was only upwards from there. 2 weeks into my freedom- my Dad died unexpectedly. What came next was indescribable DEPRESSION and a