Skip to main content

Non Judging and Quiet Protest


Yesterday I left the house and I hadn't done that in awhile. Morning walks used to be my jam before I tore my knee up. Nature has always been my church and healing temple so I went out to get my prayer and worship in with mama Nature.
I went to the park. My park I've been coming to since I was a kid. On my way there I felt small in the world yet a part of it. So long I've been trapped in quarantine, between four walls and stifled from nature.
And feeling a part of it I also felt the weight of it. The quiet streets. The fear. People behind the doors in the house I walked past...I felt the sorrow.
I let myself walk and I let the tears come. I let myself cry a silent cry under the sky. Not the world we wanted but the world we have and right now it's a sad one and it has always been.
I allowed myself to listen to the birds and then I sat with them. Near the edge of the pond I sat and watched the sky reflected in it's surface.
Mirroring.
We must think about what we mirror. Reflect.
I found beauty there and I found peace. And that is what I want to reflect. That is what I want to have mirrored back.
Although I'm not out marching around Covid town or bombarding people with inciting to riot I have my own peaceful protest of my own and it's been my life actually.
Put your money where your mouth is.
Money makes the world go round-unfortunately. If you know me you'll know I don't really care for it. It's useful in what it accomplishes but I don't seek it to amass it or use it as a "consumerist". Almost all my furniture is trash or given to me. Thrift store clothes and I detest "shopping" as a sport or habit. I know too well the effects of that mentality on the planet and environment.
However it does accomplish good things and that's what I'm about.
So first up... In case you haven't heard of this group it's called Oak Cliff Veggie Project and their mission statement "

Our mission is to affect a positive change to the agricultural and dietary landscapes in the under served neighborhoods of Southern Dallas by providing access to and education about the cultivation and use of fresh produce. We currently accomplish this by providing a monthly distribution of fresh and rescued produce. Additionally we have founded 3 and support another 3 community gardens within the Southern Sector of Dallas.

This project is a wonderful example of positive change in our community of "food deserts" and not living the Micky D's poison diet that eventually kills you. They also teach self reliance and sustainability and cultivation. So this black owned businesses (non profit) gets 5 stars. I've gotten food from them, I was so thankful and have donated to and promoted them. We need more of this in our community.
You can find them on Facebook, click this link.

I have so many friends and followers on Facebook and Instagram that a lot of info doesn't even make it into my feed. A lot of friends posts arent even shown. But I did see a post from my friend Karine Fleurima who does her Sound Healing Meditation sessions on Instagram under the username @wikkid_beat 
As a fan of Meditation, music and good vibes I felt this was just what was needed right now so I caught her latest session and dug into the afrobeat while appreciating my body, the day and nourishing my being under Karines instruction. As an artist and DJ I know TIME gets put into these things as well as passion and the only way we survive is by getting paid by supporters to do what we do. She accepts donations for her work- make sure you appreciate what artists do for the world. I appreciated my session and the peace she brings to the world. That is the message we need right now. 

Aside from giving back to the community - there are  due processes of law to get things done. So every MoveOn.org petition to see justice gets served has been signed and sent. There is also a George Floyd Memorial fund and many groups to give to to help the hurt community rebuild. Small businesses of all colors have been trampled and they are also part of the community. 
The end result=peace for the whole community, world. And vote out those who are against all the things you aren't for, put your money where your mouth is, support in non violent ways and be the change you wish to see in the world.

Mirror the good because the children will mirror you. 

Last but not least, stop judging your friends because you don't SEE them and what they are doing. It is this mindset that got us into this mess from the very beginning.
Practice NON JUDGING and NON REACTING.
ACT but don't react. For a quick read on how that works: https://zenhabits.net/dislike/

Have a peaceful day ❤️ 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jim Rockford was keeping me broke

Ah Rockford files, a comfortable and silly way to unwind after work. Yes, I am completely aware that I've turned into my Dad and watching Dad shows totally cements that theory. I had to start looking at the handsome James Garner in a new light though... He was a rich and famous star in his time and every evening spent curled up watching Rockford Files was an evening a painting wasn't getting worked on. No painting, no art show material. No painting, no galleries. No painting, no money. Would James Garner be watching TV every evening in a tired drowsy ball and not getting stuff done? Probably not.  So I pulled myself away from TV land in the evenings and devoted at least a little time in the mornings as well. Even if it's just ten minutes. Even if you are just filling in all the blacks, blues or whatever... It is progress. Something is better than nothing. I'm proud to say this little habit tweak has totally kicked my butt into gear and I'm producing at a rate I'

How I had the best art year

  This was the year I got rejection letters from every open call I applied to. Granted, it wasn't very many I applied to because I am very picky about what I sign up for AND I am also very jaded about these things of late.  However, this was my best art year to date and I kinda love that it was all rejection notices this year and I STILL HAD THE BEST ART YEAR EVER. Takeaway: Today's open calls are very "agenda based" and the jurors they choose to judge have their agendas. Some want more millennials and younger artists and shun the older artists, some want you to tackle race, gender identity, politics, feminist, pro this or that.... And my art does not. I'm going to stick by  my "Nature is more important than most bullshit" stance till I die because the very atom of life and Nature is more important in my eyes than most of the stuff humans do to feel more important than another group.  But I digress! I did not get into the velvet rope clubs and it was gre

The Backstory- cliff notes edition

  Skip navigation  little backstory I was totally working for myself as an artist and you know what? It was HARD! Harder than hard and harder than any job ever. But it was the most rewarding experience and I learned so much about so many things and I want to share that knowledge with you guys... My VIP art club. I didn't get a fair shake from the very beginning of my art career. I suffered a back injury at my "muggle" job which required a lot of physical therapy to get over and which I will have with me forever now. It was actually the impetus for me to quit my job and start being an artist! So I turned my bad luck into fuel for my fire. I saved 5k (painstakingly while enduring all the BS at a terrible job) and then I made the leap. I was so excited and optimistic about working for myself! I had sold little pieces here and there and was sure it was only upwards from there. 2 weeks into my freedom- my Dad died unexpectedly. What came next was indescribable DEPRESSION and a