Skip to main content

Say something while saying nothing

He's here! He's here! Did I carry him in my arms like a little baby from the store? Yes! Yes I did!

That blank little thing with his paper all ripped off is a MUNNY. A blank vinyl do-it-yourself toy. I'm going to be entering him into the Show Me The Munny show in December if he looks cool enough when I'm done with him. I have been waiting a few weeks for him to come in so I was getting impatient and was overly excited when he finally arrived.
Speaking of overly excited...
Yesterday I had a meeting with a gallery. You may ask oh why all the mystery? Why so vague? Well believe me chidrens, in the world of art and freelance nothing is ever solid until the money or contract is in your hand. It's a lesson you will learn the hard way or the easy way so take everything with a grain of salt and be a humble pie. However what I did come away with from my meeting was a big boost in faith that I'm on the right track and my work was well received....um, VERY well received. The gallerist couldn't believe these were painted by hand, thinking they were tight digital works. My color palette was called "Phenomenal!" and I was shown magazines I could possible be in and an artist I could possibly be paired with for a show with said gallery. Photos were immediately taken and there were good vibes all around. I even learned about some fantastic new artists I hadn't heard of, very inspiring! Things were discussed like the pricing of my work which was decidedly too low and would have to  be bumped up (this I knew but I try to keep my prices affordable for my friends) so I'm not saying "you should be grabbing my work right now!" but I'm also not saying that either. : )
But no pens to paper and no blood exchanged, I'm still hunting and peeking into this gallery and that I just feel a little stronger about being on the right track and for having a very strong approval rating in the local contemporary art scene. I had no idea it's a little like signing to a label if you're a band. And galleries are booked well in advance so I'd have about 6 months to prepare a body of work for this opportunity.  Strange waters for me but the next rung on the ladder for the emerging artist. I ended up leaving with the gallerist commissioning me for 2 works similar to the ones that had already been sold and I left "The World of Traceable Ghosts" with her to show some people she thought would be interested.
After the meeting it was time to drop ALL the babies and the TOTEM off to Steve Cruz at Mighty Fine Arts who is going to be installing everything at THE KESSLER. So if you want to see what is left and available- go to the Kessler. Visit the totem and say hi! 
It feels really weird to not have all my work here. My dining room studio now looks like a boring dining room devoid of rainbow color spectrums and little animals and psychedelia. Guess it's time to throw on some CREAM and get back to painting. 
Today finds me finishing up some vinyl pieces for the Tyler Street Salon Grand Opening. I also woke up in the middle of the night with some idea about new vinyl works and next levelin' that shizzy. Stupid brain. It won't turn off. I wonder if I'm in a creative maelstrom right now which prevents a solid 8 hours of sleep. Hell, 6 hours straight would be GREAT! But no, constantly popping awake because my brain has hit on something. Not complaining. I'd rather this than writers block any day (night). So that's my big news without saying what the big news is and not that it's solid big news or big news right now. HUH?! Maybe just keep your eye on my art : ) Maybe it's going places I've never been.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jim Rockford was keeping me broke

Ah Rockford files, a comfortable and silly way to unwind after work. Yes, I am completely aware that I've turned into my Dad and watching Dad shows totally cements that theory. I had to start looking at the handsome James Garner in a new light though... He was a rich and famous star in his time and every evening spent curled up watching Rockford Files was an evening a painting wasn't getting worked on. No painting, no art show material. No painting, no galleries. No painting, no money. Would James Garner be watching TV every evening in a tired drowsy ball and not getting stuff done? Probably not.  So I pulled myself away from TV land in the evenings and devoted at least a little time in the mornings as well. Even if it's just ten minutes. Even if you are just filling in all the blacks, blues or whatever... It is progress. Something is better than nothing. I'm proud to say this little habit tweak has totally kicked my butt into gear and I'm producing at a rate I'

How I had the best art year

  This was the year I got rejection letters from every open call I applied to. Granted, it wasn't very many I applied to because I am very picky about what I sign up for AND I am also very jaded about these things of late.  However, this was my best art year to date and I kinda love that it was all rejection notices this year and I STILL HAD THE BEST ART YEAR EVER. Takeaway: Today's open calls are very "agenda based" and the jurors they choose to judge have their agendas. Some want more millennials and younger artists and shun the older artists, some want you to tackle race, gender identity, politics, feminist, pro this or that.... And my art does not. I'm going to stick by  my "Nature is more important than most bullshit" stance till I die because the very atom of life and Nature is more important in my eyes than most of the stuff humans do to feel more important than another group.  But I digress! I did not get into the velvet rope clubs and it was gre

The Backstory- cliff notes edition

  Skip navigation  little backstory I was totally working for myself as an artist and you know what? It was HARD! Harder than hard and harder than any job ever. But it was the most rewarding experience and I learned so much about so many things and I want to share that knowledge with you guys... My VIP art club. I didn't get a fair shake from the very beginning of my art career. I suffered a back injury at my "muggle" job which required a lot of physical therapy to get over and which I will have with me forever now. It was actually the impetus for me to quit my job and start being an artist! So I turned my bad luck into fuel for my fire. I saved 5k (painstakingly while enduring all the BS at a terrible job) and then I made the leap. I was so excited and optimistic about working for myself! I had sold little pieces here and there and was sure it was only upwards from there. 2 weeks into my freedom- my Dad died unexpectedly. What came next was indescribable DEPRESSION and a