Skip to main content

Year of The Dragon and Owning It

Happy Thanksiving!

At 3:30 am I was lying awake in bed trying to fall back asleep. It wasn't happening. So at 4 am I decided I better get up. My mind was running circles around a problem. That problem being all the paintings I need to catch up on and how I need to also do my commission work to keep the bills paid. I have finally reached a point in my "art career" where there is a little demand for the paintings to the point that most are sold already. So when a new lucrative venue pipes up they want more, more, more paintings I'm looking around my studio and seeing bare walls and hardwood floors. An easel standing at the ready but no art produced! I have at least a week and a halfs worth of Christmas commissions to tackle and a need to have my art at lucrative venue in time for the holidays as well.
I can do this. I am a Dragon.
If anything I am super driven to excel at what I focus on. I'm not really sure how I inherited this trait but I did. I think it also stems from being a little 5' 3" gal who was always picked on in school and called "Shorty" and "Shrimp". I used to daydream of growing monstrously tall and giving it right back to my bullies. In truth it was all playful and not too mean spirited but it did infuse in me this "I'll Show THEM!" attitude at a young age. That could be dangerous or good depending on how you use it. So when childhood bullies taunting me with names morphed into adult people and galleries who wouldn't return my emails and generally ignored me - there was the old wound. But something very important I learned over the past few years is that "I'll show THEM!" had turned into "I'll show ME!" because I am the only one that needs to beat myself. I am my own competition. I am my own downfall. I am my own opportunity for success and THEM and THEY are merely targets to direct my frustrations onto. So this year was all about I'LL SHOW ME and when I say NEXT LEVELIN' IT I am talking about my own powers against myself. The things I suck at are to be honed, practiced and perfected. Of course Bruce Lee is my idol.
Since the discovery that I am the only one that needs to compete against myself I also decided I wasn't going to be taking NO and closed doors for an answer. If ignoring someone is someones way of dealing with you then um, why do you WANT to even do business with them? You don't.
 So I will annually bug all those people who ignore my emails. Here's my art now. Here's my art now. No one else is going to do this for me. You make a mistake if you think there's a magic person out there who has your back and is whispering wonderful things about you to all the people you'd love to work with. YOU are your own advocate unless you have an agent. I have been fortunate this year to find a few people who are now whispering good things about me to people I want to work with and it was because they liked my DIY attitude. Don't be passive in your own life and career. This is YOUR shot! So in short this Year Of The Dragon was a year I fully embraced. I put my head down in my studio and I painted like I have never painted before. I made breakthroughs in my work I never expected and the new stuff is really getting some attention. I am but a small mouse on a grain of wheat in a giant wheatfield in a world of wheatfields but this is my grain of wheat and I worked hard to find it. Remember to feel small, work hard, rise above the challenges and don't take no for an answer.
I am thankful today for everyone who has contributed to my art career, happiness, successes and disappointments. Even the bullies are getting thanked today- I wouldn't be such a dragon without you!
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jim Rockford was keeping me broke

Ah Rockford files, a comfortable and silly way to unwind after work. Yes, I am completely aware that I've turned into my Dad and watching Dad shows totally cements that theory. I had to start looking at the handsome James Garner in a new light though... He was a rich and famous star in his time and every evening spent curled up watching Rockford Files was an evening a painting wasn't getting worked on. No painting, no art show material. No painting, no galleries. No painting, no money. Would James Garner be watching TV every evening in a tired drowsy ball and not getting stuff done? Probably not.  So I pulled myself away from TV land in the evenings and devoted at least a little time in the mornings as well. Even if it's just ten minutes. Even if you are just filling in all the blacks, blues or whatever... It is progress. Something is better than nothing. I'm proud to say this little habit tweak has totally kicked my butt into gear and I'm producing at a rate I'

How I had the best art year

  This was the year I got rejection letters from every open call I applied to. Granted, it wasn't very many I applied to because I am very picky about what I sign up for AND I am also very jaded about these things of late.  However, this was my best art year to date and I kinda love that it was all rejection notices this year and I STILL HAD THE BEST ART YEAR EVER. Takeaway: Today's open calls are very "agenda based" and the jurors they choose to judge have their agendas. Some want more millennials and younger artists and shun the older artists, some want you to tackle race, gender identity, politics, feminist, pro this or that.... And my art does not. I'm going to stick by  my "Nature is more important than most bullshit" stance till I die because the very atom of life and Nature is more important in my eyes than most of the stuff humans do to feel more important than another group.  But I digress! I did not get into the velvet rope clubs and it was gre

The Backstory- cliff notes edition

  Skip navigation  little backstory I was totally working for myself as an artist and you know what? It was HARD! Harder than hard and harder than any job ever. But it was the most rewarding experience and I learned so much about so many things and I want to share that knowledge with you guys... My VIP art club. I didn't get a fair shake from the very beginning of my art career. I suffered a back injury at my "muggle" job which required a lot of physical therapy to get over and which I will have with me forever now. It was actually the impetus for me to quit my job and start being an artist! So I turned my bad luck into fuel for my fire. I saved 5k (painstakingly while enduring all the BS at a terrible job) and then I made the leap. I was so excited and optimistic about working for myself! I had sold little pieces here and there and was sure it was only upwards from there. 2 weeks into my freedom- my Dad died unexpectedly. What came next was indescribable DEPRESSION and a