Skip to main content

Pink and Purple Cloud Fairytale


Oh where to start...my last blog had me heading off into the skies to Idaho to put up a ceiling mural. I was very apprehensive and fighting my own negative brains dialogue. My doctor hadn't refilled my prescription in time and I was pretty certain I was going to get ill somewhere in the mix. I was also betting on something akin to whiplash and my back freezing up while I was trying to work. JUST SO YOU KNOW- the way my brain likes to abuse me. :D
Not to make this blog too lengthy and flowery..I'll preface this all by saying that had to be one of the best job experiences I have ever been on and it unlocked a much needed transformation in my life. If you may remember I was ready to throw the towel in a few weeks ago. I was feeling pretty shipwrecked. A few friends jumped my cables, so to speak, with supportive words, art sales and even a full out donation and the words "keep creating please". So everyones support has not been lost on me. I've been absorbing it. 

 As I worked on the ceiling and photos got posted to Facebook I was receiving the resounding cheers and "you deserve this!" and "wow!". Wow indeed friends! WOW to you guys making me feel so special! My friend and client I was working with gave me neverending good advice and praise at every turn. He made sure I was well taken care of and never in need of a thing. In fact the platform itself I worked upon was designed with my height and comfort in mind. Pinch me.... Life is NOT LIKE THIS. Lifes never been sooooo nice! It's like the Universe took notice of me for a second and realized I really wasn't a bug that needed squishing and punishment.
So not only was I getting my cheerleaders online but my clients friends and family were also giving me thumbs up and amazing feedback. 
I was usually up on the platform by 8:30 or 9am and pretty much up there until 6:30 pm or 7. These clouds required a LOT OF BLENDING. The ceiling was in the "Grand Room" and would be a dynamic focal point aside from the killer fireplace that had already been installed. Everything was divided into "panels" and also some circular spots that were reserved for some ornamental features to come. Where the panels ended- gold trim will be installed...and I mean gold leafed trim with real gold. 
(Work in progress for the Grand Room)
I ended up having to extend my stay a few days because the work took a lot longer than I thought. Note to self- an extra day or two is probably a safe bet when planning a ceiling like this. I really did learn a lot on this project- as I try to do with every project. Luckily my client friend and I had great communication and that made the whole process a million times easier.
(detail of a section of the clouds)
So I did not get whiplash, my back did not go out and my body didn't end up in an ER in IDAHO as I suspected it might. Every morning it HURT and felt like it had been worked hard but it HELD UP and I was super proud that I was retraining, recalibrating and building up my strength and momentum. You have to do a bit of AUTO PILOT on exhausting jobs- you have to be part machine. I came back STRONG and back to my being able to work on my feet for 8+ hours a day and it's been a LONG TIME since it's been like this. I proved I was not a broken doll.
(Shot of the Grand Room with the lovely platform I got to work on)
So to wind up this Pink and Purple Cloud Fairytale of a story...you're probably thinking- OK so she got to go work really hard and paint a ceiling whooptydooo! LOL! But the deeper story is I got to rediscover the fire within me. I got to be reminded that there are indeed KIND magical people out there that believe in me and want to see me succeed. I got to remember that I also want that for myself and I DESERVE IT. And by deserving it and knowing that I deserve better than I've been allowing myself- I am now ready to make all the changes in my life and business that I'm worthy of. You see friends, I told myself for too long that I was not worthy. I didn't believe I could. I let people treat me as cheap labor and let them talk down to me. I bought into the negative dialogue. Everyone was more important than me. I would take the very least amount.
Not anymore.
I felt appreciated and that was pretty amazing.
I had the chance to receive the opposite of all the negative and realized I can absolutely keep my art journey going, I've been doing it all along and made huge strides with so much against me. 
So my Cinderella story isn't that some Prince whisked me away to live happily ever after and I don't have to sweep the dirty castle anymore....but that a Prince reminded me I had a damn paintbrush in my hand and could paint my dreams all along.
Who valued my art enough he let me tag his ceilings with crazy clouds? This guy!
Thank you Jacob Carpenter for being an amazing person and friend!

And as a last over the top princely gesture I was asked to autograph my signature in 24K GOLD! Usually I get asked to be an anonymous mouse and please use the back exit so no one sees my comings and goings. Kinda what Im used to so...this was -unbelievable.
Thanks to everyone who has been supporting me, cheering me on and believing in me.
My paintbrush is ready to go wherever it dreams to.
(Currently now back in Texas working on more projects for amazing people- my new criteria is you have to be damn amazing to work with me LOL!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jim Rockford was keeping me broke

Ah Rockford files, a comfortable and silly way to unwind after work. Yes, I am completely aware that I've turned into my Dad and watching Dad shows totally cements that theory. I had to start looking at the handsome James Garner in a new light though... He was a rich and famous star in his time and every evening spent curled up watching Rockford Files was an evening a painting wasn't getting worked on. No painting, no art show material. No painting, no galleries. No painting, no money. Would James Garner be watching TV every evening in a tired drowsy ball and not getting stuff done? Probably not.  So I pulled myself away from TV land in the evenings and devoted at least a little time in the mornings as well. Even if it's just ten minutes. Even if you are just filling in all the blacks, blues or whatever... It is progress. Something is better than nothing. I'm proud to say this little habit tweak has totally kicked my butt into gear and I'm producing at a rate I'

How I had the best art year

  This was the year I got rejection letters from every open call I applied to. Granted, it wasn't very many I applied to because I am very picky about what I sign up for AND I am also very jaded about these things of late.  However, this was my best art year to date and I kinda love that it was all rejection notices this year and I STILL HAD THE BEST ART YEAR EVER. Takeaway: Today's open calls are very "agenda based" and the jurors they choose to judge have their agendas. Some want more millennials and younger artists and shun the older artists, some want you to tackle race, gender identity, politics, feminist, pro this or that.... And my art does not. I'm going to stick by  my "Nature is more important than most bullshit" stance till I die because the very atom of life and Nature is more important in my eyes than most of the stuff humans do to feel more important than another group.  But I digress! I did not get into the velvet rope clubs and it was gre

The Backstory- cliff notes edition

  Skip navigation  little backstory I was totally working for myself as an artist and you know what? It was HARD! Harder than hard and harder than any job ever. But it was the most rewarding experience and I learned so much about so many things and I want to share that knowledge with you guys... My VIP art club. I didn't get a fair shake from the very beginning of my art career. I suffered a back injury at my "muggle" job which required a lot of physical therapy to get over and which I will have with me forever now. It was actually the impetus for me to quit my job and start being an artist! So I turned my bad luck into fuel for my fire. I saved 5k (painstakingly while enduring all the BS at a terrible job) and then I made the leap. I was so excited and optimistic about working for myself! I had sold little pieces here and there and was sure it was only upwards from there. 2 weeks into my freedom- my Dad died unexpectedly. What came next was indescribable DEPRESSION and a