Skip to main content

The Busy Art of Business

Happy Earth Day friends (everyday is Earth Day though)! I had a mixed bag weekend of work and leisure. Usually the weekends (or what other people call weekends) are pretty much work. But I've been trying to implement some balance to avoid burnout. Saturday my stroll at the park ended up with me picking up any trash I saw ...so Earth Day duties in effect! Sunday I made lunch for the family and spent a little time with them between painting on this New York hotel project. But not to get into the minutiae of my weekend- this blog is about balance and business.
Balance is the hardest part of what I do and usually my personal time and family time are the innocent victim of my work tornadoes.
So this year in addition to being NICER to myself and upgrading my worth- Im prioritizing my own downtime. Like if I can just have my Sundays for now Im cool. But a proper non work vacation is also a seed Im planting.
It's important to work this in because it's the nice part of life and who wants to feel like they are working just to keep working? Not me.
But this also means its time to roll up the sleeves a little farther on the work days and start putting some plans of action into place. No more just "hoping" a project pops up when Im done with what Im doing but proactively hunting the next project and getting it on the calendar.
Also my own real project of producing artwork seems to have ghosted on me. So NUMBER ONE on my list is making time for my art. Producing. At least 2 new pieces a month need to be coming out of my studio. While this will be hard to juggle when I have commercial projects going- it is necessary and a must.
Its Monday and Im up early because I have three projects going at once today and a little meeting about the art viewing happening this week. Busy in the beehive so not much Facebook shenanigans this week. But I thank you dear souls who have reached out and thanked me for making you laugh.
Some of the people on my Facebook are dealing with heavy stuff. Some are battling cancer, chronic illness, live at the hospital, live in their car...deppresives, out of work and looking...its a loooong list. I do my best not to add to the chaos and frustrations of the world and try to share some laughs. If you know my personal life- you know I need them too.
So thank you-it's my pleasure to bring a smile into a world intent on making you cry.
Now go tackle that Monday and make somebody smile today. ❤

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jim Rockford was keeping me broke

Ah Rockford files, a comfortable and silly way to unwind after work. Yes, I am completely aware that I've turned into my Dad and watching Dad shows totally cements that theory. I had to start looking at the handsome James Garner in a new light though... He was a rich and famous star in his time and every evening spent curled up watching Rockford Files was an evening a painting wasn't getting worked on. No painting, no art show material. No painting, no galleries. No painting, no money. Would James Garner be watching TV every evening in a tired drowsy ball and not getting stuff done? Probably not.  So I pulled myself away from TV land in the evenings and devoted at least a little time in the mornings as well. Even if it's just ten minutes. Even if you are just filling in all the blacks, blues or whatever... It is progress. Something is better than nothing. I'm proud to say this little habit tweak has totally kicked my butt into gear and I'm producing at a rate I'

How I had the best art year

  This was the year I got rejection letters from every open call I applied to. Granted, it wasn't very many I applied to because I am very picky about what I sign up for AND I am also very jaded about these things of late.  However, this was my best art year to date and I kinda love that it was all rejection notices this year and I STILL HAD THE BEST ART YEAR EVER. Takeaway: Today's open calls are very "agenda based" and the jurors they choose to judge have their agendas. Some want more millennials and younger artists and shun the older artists, some want you to tackle race, gender identity, politics, feminist, pro this or that.... And my art does not. I'm going to stick by  my "Nature is more important than most bullshit" stance till I die because the very atom of life and Nature is more important in my eyes than most of the stuff humans do to feel more important than another group.  But I digress! I did not get into the velvet rope clubs and it was gre

The Backstory- cliff notes edition

  Skip navigation  little backstory I was totally working for myself as an artist and you know what? It was HARD! Harder than hard and harder than any job ever. But it was the most rewarding experience and I learned so much about so many things and I want to share that knowledge with you guys... My VIP art club. I didn't get a fair shake from the very beginning of my art career. I suffered a back injury at my "muggle" job which required a lot of physical therapy to get over and which I will have with me forever now. It was actually the impetus for me to quit my job and start being an artist! So I turned my bad luck into fuel for my fire. I saved 5k (painstakingly while enduring all the BS at a terrible job) and then I made the leap. I was so excited and optimistic about working for myself! I had sold little pieces here and there and was sure it was only upwards from there. 2 weeks into my freedom- my Dad died unexpectedly. What came next was indescribable DEPRESSION and a