Skip to main content

Hive Life

my little squadron of busy buzzy bees


Just polished off a productive weekend in the hive and now the workweek starts anew- not that it ever stopped. Saturdays and Sundays are no different from Mondays and Tuesdays for me. A day to work. Yesterday I burned full throttle in the studio on the giant painting. Still not done but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel... another day or two perhaps and this thing should be zipped up. My sleeping patterns are off and so is my workout routine and house upkeep. When I am in the middle of a painting and with the deadlines I have nothing else falls into my radar. I know there is balance in there but I have yet to achieve it. My passion for being productive in my hive and creating art burns too strong and nothing can tear me away sometimes. This is either good or bad, I haven't decided which yet.
In theory my brand new prints should be ready this week so get ready for some awesomeness at an affordable price! Here is what you can look forward to:
the little details seen here will be MINI PRINTS! Doodle bug sized little fun prints you can keep or give or even put into a cool mat and frame. Wouldn't they be perfect for a kids room? I'm still figuring out pricing and how to put these into packaging etc. But that's another thing going on in my hive.
Let me also tell you about a few things coming up on my radar, the first being that I'm DJing this Saturday at the Double Wide for their Halloween party. WOOHOO!
Then get ready to see me reppin' in my hood, I've been invited to create something special for the Latino Arts Fest in Bishop Arts 
I'm excited because I'm doing something totally challenging and something I've been wanting to do but this will be the perfect opportunity to make this happen. Remember I like deadlines, stress and challenges? YES! And also I'm excited to be able to showcase my work in my hood. I was born in Oak Cliff and don't think I've ever had a chance to show my powers here yet, so this will be a special moment for me. 
My calendars looking pretty full already huh? Well theres MORE! Pinche...
One of the things is still secret so we'll move along but the other thing is I'll be DJing for a live painting session for Artist DIY at Gallery at Midtown on November 9th. More details coming SOON but save the date!
Add into all that I'm trying to do some commissions for customers (pay my bills!) and keep up the steady flow of new work because I have some gallery interest and pending portfolio reviews. I feel wanted, needed and tugged in a hundred different directions. BUT....I can do this, I can do this, I can do this. So without further ado- off to WORK!
Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jim Rockford was keeping me broke

Ah Rockford files, a comfortable and silly way to unwind after work. Yes, I am completely aware that I've turned into my Dad and watching Dad shows totally cements that theory. I had to start looking at the handsome James Garner in a new light though... He was a rich and famous star in his time and every evening spent curled up watching Rockford Files was an evening a painting wasn't getting worked on. No painting, no art show material. No painting, no galleries. No painting, no money. Would James Garner be watching TV every evening in a tired drowsy ball and not getting stuff done? Probably not.  So I pulled myself away from TV land in the evenings and devoted at least a little time in the mornings as well. Even if it's just ten minutes. Even if you are just filling in all the blacks, blues or whatever... It is progress. Something is better than nothing. I'm proud to say this little habit tweak has totally kicked my butt into gear and I'm producing at a rate I'

How I had the best art year

  This was the year I got rejection letters from every open call I applied to. Granted, it wasn't very many I applied to because I am very picky about what I sign up for AND I am also very jaded about these things of late.  However, this was my best art year to date and I kinda love that it was all rejection notices this year and I STILL HAD THE BEST ART YEAR EVER. Takeaway: Today's open calls are very "agenda based" and the jurors they choose to judge have their agendas. Some want more millennials and younger artists and shun the older artists, some want you to tackle race, gender identity, politics, feminist, pro this or that.... And my art does not. I'm going to stick by  my "Nature is more important than most bullshit" stance till I die because the very atom of life and Nature is more important in my eyes than most of the stuff humans do to feel more important than another group.  But I digress! I did not get into the velvet rope clubs and it was gre

The Backstory- cliff notes edition

  Skip navigation  little backstory I was totally working for myself as an artist and you know what? It was HARD! Harder than hard and harder than any job ever. But it was the most rewarding experience and I learned so much about so many things and I want to share that knowledge with you guys... My VIP art club. I didn't get a fair shake from the very beginning of my art career. I suffered a back injury at my "muggle" job which required a lot of physical therapy to get over and which I will have with me forever now. It was actually the impetus for me to quit my job and start being an artist! So I turned my bad luck into fuel for my fire. I saved 5k (painstakingly while enduring all the BS at a terrible job) and then I made the leap. I was so excited and optimistic about working for myself! I had sold little pieces here and there and was sure it was only upwards from there. 2 weeks into my freedom- my Dad died unexpectedly. What came next was indescribable DEPRESSION and a