Skip to main content

Should we talk about the weather?

Little Red Riding Hoodlum in her habitat

The weather has made a brief detour into Chillysville. Perhaps just to give us a taste of what's to come in Dallas. The temps will be cruising back up to 80's this week though so I haven't stocked up on hot cocoa and wool socks yet. However this little blast of cold was enough to make me feel a little like a squirrel who forgot to stash his food for the winter. Let me explain...
Some of my work has to be done outside due to the nature of what I'm using- that being krylon. I don't have  a garage or any covered space outside to work so I use my porch and hope the conditions are fair for it. However when winter comes around and especially if it's a wet winter or brutally cold- this is not ideal. At. All. I got a good reminder yesterday trying to spray paint outside and only after 10 minutes feeling like my hand was wounded and deformed into a bitter cold claw. OW.
Aside from physical discomfort there is the pure science of paint and temperature and humidity. Sometimes the weather is just too much for the paint and you get a sticky uneven mess, you get bubbles, weird textures or the paint stays translucent and drying times are increased. Theres ways around all that of course but perhaps it is best to take a cue from the birds and squirrels who prepare for the winter and get some stuff primered NOW. So this week I'll be pre-primering a whole big stack of wax for record commissions for the winter. That way I can just slide the color I want off my wall and forego the hassle of spotty paint jobs and records that take 2 days to dry first.
As you can see in that photo I have started a new canvas in the "Path of....." series, what you can't see in that photo is the giant 36" x 48" canvas that I'm actually going to be starting on next. It's time for a big one. I made this decision when the gallery who wants to meet me in person and see my works gave me about 2 weeks before our meeting. I saw this as an opportunity to pull out my A game. Next level it and Wow. If anything I need a big piece in my reportoire and if anything I need more work just in case I make any sales this weekend at the Orisons Fine Art gallery night.
Things are popping and opportunities are coming up- Year of the Dragon is my year to shine and I have to do everything in my power to push my art to it's highest.
So Monday is off to a good start with me making the resolution to BE A SQUIRREL and PREPARE
And with that.....away I go!
I took this photo with my phone while out jogging this Summer, the little guy was carrying that horseapple in his mouth and when I stopped to shoot him he stopped and posed for me!

Comments

  1. I love Squirrels they do ponder our existence too I am sure, you can always come over to my studio to paint sis. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thanks sweetie! :) I love squirrels too they are always doing funny things if you bother to look for em

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jim Rockford was keeping me broke

Ah Rockford files, a comfortable and silly way to unwind after work. Yes, I am completely aware that I've turned into my Dad and watching Dad shows totally cements that theory. I had to start looking at the handsome James Garner in a new light though... He was a rich and famous star in his time and every evening spent curled up watching Rockford Files was an evening a painting wasn't getting worked on. No painting, no art show material. No painting, no galleries. No painting, no money. Would James Garner be watching TV every evening in a tired drowsy ball and not getting stuff done? Probably not.  So I pulled myself away from TV land in the evenings and devoted at least a little time in the mornings as well. Even if it's just ten minutes. Even if you are just filling in all the blacks, blues or whatever... It is progress. Something is better than nothing. I'm proud to say this little habit tweak has totally kicked my butt into gear and I'm producing at a rate I'

How I had the best art year

  This was the year I got rejection letters from every open call I applied to. Granted, it wasn't very many I applied to because I am very picky about what I sign up for AND I am also very jaded about these things of late.  However, this was my best art year to date and I kinda love that it was all rejection notices this year and I STILL HAD THE BEST ART YEAR EVER. Takeaway: Today's open calls are very "agenda based" and the jurors they choose to judge have their agendas. Some want more millennials and younger artists and shun the older artists, some want you to tackle race, gender identity, politics, feminist, pro this or that.... And my art does not. I'm going to stick by  my "Nature is more important than most bullshit" stance till I die because the very atom of life and Nature is more important in my eyes than most of the stuff humans do to feel more important than another group.  But I digress! I did not get into the velvet rope clubs and it was gre

The Backstory- cliff notes edition

  Skip navigation  little backstory I was totally working for myself as an artist and you know what? It was HARD! Harder than hard and harder than any job ever. But it was the most rewarding experience and I learned so much about so many things and I want to share that knowledge with you guys... My VIP art club. I didn't get a fair shake from the very beginning of my art career. I suffered a back injury at my "muggle" job which required a lot of physical therapy to get over and which I will have with me forever now. It was actually the impetus for me to quit my job and start being an artist! So I turned my bad luck into fuel for my fire. I saved 5k (painstakingly while enduring all the BS at a terrible job) and then I made the leap. I was so excited and optimistic about working for myself! I had sold little pieces here and there and was sure it was only upwards from there. 2 weeks into my freedom- my Dad died unexpectedly. What came next was indescribable DEPRESSION and a