Skip to main content

This Magic Moment

My work hanging at ORISONS FINE ART in MCKINNEY, TX

It was quite a weekend! The show at Orisons in McKinney Tx was well attended and well put together with lovely paintings dripping from every wall. I got to meet some of the artists I was showing with and check out the local color as well. I roamed around the block and hit a few more gallery openings and art boutiques, everyone was very nice and informative... and had delicious spreads of food and warm smiles to welcome you. I had just finished a tasty dinner at their local "diner" called SPOONS and the giant piece of strawberry cake I ordered as dessert...I was barely able to put a dent in. Word to the wise- don't eat a big dinner before an art opening. I had to disregard red velvet cupcakes, delicious hummus and cheese rolls. : (
I felt like I was in some kind of magic fairyland where delicious treats and wines appeared dancing before you- free for the taking! Everyones sweet demeanor enhanced that notion, so when my old friend from highschool appeared with her family and offered drinks at a really cool restaurant that I had just said moments earlier I would be trying out on my next trip I couldn't refuse and we were off to Cafe Malaga and their magnificent patio!
By the way Dallas- you do not know PATIO. Cafe Malaga knows patio. Patio is not a wrought iron fence two feet away from a curb and diesel exhaust as seasoning for your food. Patio is an expanse of land with trees and a fountain well away from the street and festively lit. We had wonderful drinks, me a mellow wine... and appetizers of prosciutto wrapped asparagus. MMMMmmm! My friends children entertained us and we were regaled with tales of what I had missed in my friends life since our highschool days. It was a fun night outside with a crazy storm blowing in. The wind was fierce, punctuated by lightning and the perfect backdrop for my magical fairyland evening where everything was nice and plentiful. As a special treat the chef and owner who happened to be pals with my friends brought out a dessert that wasn't on the menu- a special creation "Chocolate Marquis" a divine little concoction that bordered between chocolate mousse and cheesecake and topped with strawberries. DECADENT. The chef then treated me to a tour of his restaurant and we talked art, he wanted my card and was absolutely interested in my crazy story of painting on records. It was the perfect sweet ending to a wonderful evening. I said goodbye to my new favorite little place with it's smiling people and music wafting on the wind and rushed to beat the storm that was about to crack open the sky.
All weekends should be so amazing...but if they were I'd be 75 lbs heavier at least.
You take the loveliness where you find it and roll.
Speaking of rolling..I got my pro photo of the Doodle bug painting finally and can now go to print! So this week I'll be sizing up and figuring prices. I have a very tiny budget with which to print so these are done in limited edition runs. This piece will be featured in the CITYARTSCAL book coming out soon. So along with getting printing rolling I'm working on a giant new painting and going to get my art from Wine Therapist today. It's been quite a busy, busy month and I'm loving every minute of it!


Comments

  1. Enjoy the Life :) SOOOOO PROUD! Your an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really glad I read this Patricia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) Thanks for reading, seriously appreciate the comments too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jim Rockford was keeping me broke

Ah Rockford files, a comfortable and silly way to unwind after work. Yes, I am completely aware that I've turned into my Dad and watching Dad shows totally cements that theory. I had to start looking at the handsome James Garner in a new light though... He was a rich and famous star in his time and every evening spent curled up watching Rockford Files was an evening a painting wasn't getting worked on. No painting, no art show material. No painting, no galleries. No painting, no money. Would James Garner be watching TV every evening in a tired drowsy ball and not getting stuff done? Probably not.  So I pulled myself away from TV land in the evenings and devoted at least a little time in the mornings as well. Even if it's just ten minutes. Even if you are just filling in all the blacks, blues or whatever... It is progress. Something is better than nothing. I'm proud to say this little habit tweak has totally kicked my butt into gear and I'm producing at a rate I'

How I had the best art year

  This was the year I got rejection letters from every open call I applied to. Granted, it wasn't very many I applied to because I am very picky about what I sign up for AND I am also very jaded about these things of late.  However, this was my best art year to date and I kinda love that it was all rejection notices this year and I STILL HAD THE BEST ART YEAR EVER. Takeaway: Today's open calls are very "agenda based" and the jurors they choose to judge have their agendas. Some want more millennials and younger artists and shun the older artists, some want you to tackle race, gender identity, politics, feminist, pro this or that.... And my art does not. I'm going to stick by  my "Nature is more important than most bullshit" stance till I die because the very atom of life and Nature is more important in my eyes than most of the stuff humans do to feel more important than another group.  But I digress! I did not get into the velvet rope clubs and it was gre

The Backstory- cliff notes edition

  Skip navigation  little backstory I was totally working for myself as an artist and you know what? It was HARD! Harder than hard and harder than any job ever. But it was the most rewarding experience and I learned so much about so many things and I want to share that knowledge with you guys... My VIP art club. I didn't get a fair shake from the very beginning of my art career. I suffered a back injury at my "muggle" job which required a lot of physical therapy to get over and which I will have with me forever now. It was actually the impetus for me to quit my job and start being an artist! So I turned my bad luck into fuel for my fire. I saved 5k (painstakingly while enduring all the BS at a terrible job) and then I made the leap. I was so excited and optimistic about working for myself! I had sold little pieces here and there and was sure it was only upwards from there. 2 weeks into my freedom- my Dad died unexpectedly. What came next was indescribable DEPRESSION and a