Skip to main content

Werewolf 101

My "On This Day" from 2015

I'm not sure why it's my morning ritual to have coffee while reading my ON THIS DAY posts on Facebook. It's usually good for a chuckle, a reminisce, a head shake and some eye rolls. Sometimes its a good reminder of my struggle-such as this one. 
Endometriosis.

(Early pieces using "organ-like shapes, veins and blobby growths to convey this mysterious pain I was living with)

I'm an artist with endometriosis and it still hasn't been "diagnosed" on paper thru laparoscopy. But this is common for women with endo. You are treated as though you probably have it and if the treatment seems helpful then by process of elimination that is what you have. But...not on paper.
I could go into a very long boring story of my pain but really- I wrote all those blogs and notes already. Before anyone even knew what endo was, I was thick in its nightmare. Thinking it was everything from fibroids, cysts, tumors, PCOS to some werewolvian curse set upon me by the "bad guys". 
(Painted this in the grip of stabbing pain and nausea- my victory over not  letting this thing claim my art)

It's ENDOMETRIOSIS AWARENESS month. There's been some hashtag campaign to SHARE YOUR SCARS and Im feeling for everyone who has this in their body and who had to be cut open to remove it...only to have it grow back again. Because there is NO CURE...just little fixes to get you through life until your body explodes again.
There are many of us who do not have scars on the outside to share. Do not discount us. Either our poverty, lack of healthcare or worries have prevented us from the knife. We have NO idea the extent of damage inside us, how much scarring has taken place or what all the "web" has taken over to slowly bind and strangle. My fate of treatment was a chemo drug called Lupron...which did actually help to make my ovaries go to sleep long enough to give me some semblance of normal for some time. But I never recommend this route to any off my endo sisters. I can't. It is so hard on the body and I 50/50 regret and accept the side effects to this day. Throw your 30 something year old body into what it feels like to be an arthritic pain riddled 90 year olds body and see if you have shining things to say about that drug. Luckily a lot of THAT shit has subsided. I'm typing this from my bathtub this morning though...
my safe hot water cocoon. 
Why? Because Im having what I call a "flare". Which is a cute word for "Endometriosis flare up".  This means I baby my body all weekend, nap when I need to, take 5 hot baths in a day if I need to, stay away from stress and use Natures little helper like a thug. 
(The pain makes you appreciate your GOOD DAYS- on those days you tackle life like a TIGER. Fierce! Get it while you're up and not puking)

Interesting my on this day is as cyclical as the moon. 2015 has turned into 2019 and I'm talking about the same monster as usual. Its made for some good art though and it is MY STORY and STRUGGLE which would be pretty boring if life wasn't always trying to torture and kill me, I suppose. 
(Pretty much painting my imaginary innards full of sharp beautiful pain inflictors)
Now so many people have endometriosis and it used to be called "rare". MY ASS. And if you must know- I wholeheartedly believe its caused by all the poisons in our environment, food, water and medications and birth control.
 Eh I should write a book.
To wrap this up- not all of us have scars and a lot of us still can't "name" our assailant yet. What works for one-doesn't work for all. Be kind to yourselves and treat yourself how you need to be treated. 
See you on the other side of the full moon my fellow werewolves. 🌙
🐺

Comments

  1. You are a really great artist! Your blogs are really cool too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jim Rockford was keeping me broke

Ah Rockford files, a comfortable and silly way to unwind after work. Yes, I am completely aware that I've turned into my Dad and watching Dad shows totally cements that theory. I had to start looking at the handsome James Garner in a new light though... He was a rich and famous star in his time and every evening spent curled up watching Rockford Files was an evening a painting wasn't getting worked on. No painting, no art show material. No painting, no galleries. No painting, no money. Would James Garner be watching TV every evening in a tired drowsy ball and not getting stuff done? Probably not.  So I pulled myself away from TV land in the evenings and devoted at least a little time in the mornings as well. Even if it's just ten minutes. Even if you are just filling in all the blacks, blues or whatever... It is progress. Something is better than nothing. I'm proud to say this little habit tweak has totally kicked my butt into gear and I'm producing at a rate I'

How I had the best art year

  This was the year I got rejection letters from every open call I applied to. Granted, it wasn't very many I applied to because I am very picky about what I sign up for AND I am also very jaded about these things of late.  However, this was my best art year to date and I kinda love that it was all rejection notices this year and I STILL HAD THE BEST ART YEAR EVER. Takeaway: Today's open calls are very "agenda based" and the jurors they choose to judge have their agendas. Some want more millennials and younger artists and shun the older artists, some want you to tackle race, gender identity, politics, feminist, pro this or that.... And my art does not. I'm going to stick by  my "Nature is more important than most bullshit" stance till I die because the very atom of life and Nature is more important in my eyes than most of the stuff humans do to feel more important than another group.  But I digress! I did not get into the velvet rope clubs and it was gre

The Backstory- cliff notes edition

  Skip navigation  little backstory I was totally working for myself as an artist and you know what? It was HARD! Harder than hard and harder than any job ever. But it was the most rewarding experience and I learned so much about so many things and I want to share that knowledge with you guys... My VIP art club. I didn't get a fair shake from the very beginning of my art career. I suffered a back injury at my "muggle" job which required a lot of physical therapy to get over and which I will have with me forever now. It was actually the impetus for me to quit my job and start being an artist! So I turned my bad luck into fuel for my fire. I saved 5k (painstakingly while enduring all the BS at a terrible job) and then I made the leap. I was so excited and optimistic about working for myself! I had sold little pieces here and there and was sure it was only upwards from there. 2 weeks into my freedom- my Dad died unexpectedly. What came next was indescribable DEPRESSION and a