Skip to main content

The cold, hard truth...


Feeling very ART PLUNGEY today and wanted to vent some ART stuff. What is it like being a freelance artist? Just in case you had some fancy notion its all selling art online immediately after you create it and then "living your best life"...let me laugh in your face and pull out my balloon popping needle...

1. PEOPLE WILL LOVE YOUR STUFF. They will tell you so. And in the same breath in a very long run on sentence say "someday I hope to collect your work BUT...". You will then see said people fly to Europe, Hawaii, Japan and drink 100 flowery cocktails all year. You may have even discounted your work very low for said people only to see they did indeed have money...just not money for YOU. They LOVE YOUR ART but they do not buy it. Period. Ask almost any artist and this is their story too. Alcohol yes...Art no.

2. Chances are you are having to hustle A LOT. Create a LOT of things for a LOT of people. Be a lot of artists in one body- pleasing this sector and that. Galleries want one thing- frown on these other things.... Designers want something else... Personal collectors want something else...
Can we have an identity crisis for a moment? Juggling personal fine art, commercial work to pay the bills and friends requests for "whatever" is HARD. Freelancing doesn't mean you have no boss. It means you have MANY. I'm even doing payroll work for a courier service to try to afford my cats insulin. You do ALL THINGS.

3. So you do work no one seems to be able to afford and they are hoping to collect you one day (when you're dead maybe) so you make AFFORDABLE PRINTS...that-they-asked-if-you-were-making-so-you-made-them- only to have a choir of crickets CHIRP back at you when you announce you got the prints they asked about. No sale. Ching ching? Dust in your cash register. You're out money on printing, matting supplies and shipping stuff. Are we having fun yet? Are you starting to see how people are?

4. "YOU'RE DOING SO WELL!". Nope. Let me wash the lies from your eyes. What you see online is that I'M BUSY HUSTLING. Hustling is struggling but doing everything you can. Being busy doesnt necessarily mean youre getting paid. I've done projects and given my time to things that disappear and I don't see a cent on it. I have to wait for people to decide to cut me checks whenever they feel like it-not a worry to them because they aren't poor. I've been discounted and used. I let this happen out of necessity and desperation. There are people in this industry that FEED OFF THIS. Galleries that take your work and don't even TRY to sell it and overhype their pet artists while work you could be selling yourself remains a hostage with them. No hype about you- but they're taking 50% even if YOUR collectors bought it.

 5. Other artists want to pick your brain constantly and never help you out. This field is uber competitive. I'm constantly asked "where did you make prints? Where to order this supply? How did you get that show? Who should I talk to about...." Endless questions and I've happily helped everyone. Even though I never hear from them again. Not a sharing of work or dropping my name with people who might like my work. Artists can be super selfish and this is my "peer" group. I did the hard work firsthand and they can just take my helpful info and dance out with it. 👍


6. I've never bought any of your art or even follow your art page... but you're an artist and I need donated artwork. So give me said artwork and after the event you aren't invited to you will never hear from me again. Until I need more free art.
Yes, Artists are FREE ART fairies! We so magical! (PS WE ARE THE CHARITY CASES NO ONE HAS ART AUCTIONS AND FUNDRAISERS FOR UNTIL WE'RE DYING)

7. I could go ON AND ON but I have to get back to hustling, "DOING SO WELL" and being TOO UNAFFORDABLE with my $18 prints. 😂 So let me wrap this up...

If you thought you were going to sit at home raking it in on Etsy (way oversaturated now), Facebook (which took you out of the newsfeed of all your fanbase so you're forced to pay ADVERTISING fees) or Instagram (see FACEBOOK)...good luck with all that! My last free advice is: hustle like your panties are on fire and don't discount your work anymore. Keep your dayjob if you can. *And always be kind!*
 And if it's not working for you- CHANGE IT.
This blog is the cold hard truth about a field people seem to have big misconceptions about.
Let me know when living my best life costs zero dollars...THAT I have in spades.

Join my mailing list! You might win something! http://tigerbeearts.com/contact_us

Need an ART PRINT that costs less than a flowery cocktail and you get to keep it forever and not pee it down the toilet? https://tigerbee-arts.myshopify.com/collections/all

Keepin it real 100%. ❤ Be good to each other out there! (PS that painting posted up there is only $100 and there's a 10% off discount code because Im too nice) 😊

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jim Rockford was keeping me broke

Ah Rockford files, a comfortable and silly way to unwind after work. Yes, I am completely aware that I've turned into my Dad and watching Dad shows totally cements that theory. I had to start looking at the handsome James Garner in a new light though... He was a rich and famous star in his time and every evening spent curled up watching Rockford Files was an evening a painting wasn't getting worked on. No painting, no art show material. No painting, no galleries. No painting, no money. Would James Garner be watching TV every evening in a tired drowsy ball and not getting stuff done? Probably not.  So I pulled myself away from TV land in the evenings and devoted at least a little time in the mornings as well. Even if it's just ten minutes. Even if you are just filling in all the blacks, blues or whatever... It is progress. Something is better than nothing. I'm proud to say this little habit tweak has totally kicked my butt into gear and I'm producing at a rate I'

How I had the best art year

  This was the year I got rejection letters from every open call I applied to. Granted, it wasn't very many I applied to because I am very picky about what I sign up for AND I am also very jaded about these things of late.  However, this was my best art year to date and I kinda love that it was all rejection notices this year and I STILL HAD THE BEST ART YEAR EVER. Takeaway: Today's open calls are very "agenda based" and the jurors they choose to judge have their agendas. Some want more millennials and younger artists and shun the older artists, some want you to tackle race, gender identity, politics, feminist, pro this or that.... And my art does not. I'm going to stick by  my "Nature is more important than most bullshit" stance till I die because the very atom of life and Nature is more important in my eyes than most of the stuff humans do to feel more important than another group.  But I digress! I did not get into the velvet rope clubs and it was gre

The Backstory- cliff notes edition

  Skip navigation  little backstory I was totally working for myself as an artist and you know what? It was HARD! Harder than hard and harder than any job ever. But it was the most rewarding experience and I learned so much about so many things and I want to share that knowledge with you guys... My VIP art club. I didn't get a fair shake from the very beginning of my art career. I suffered a back injury at my "muggle" job which required a lot of physical therapy to get over and which I will have with me forever now. It was actually the impetus for me to quit my job and start being an artist! So I turned my bad luck into fuel for my fire. I saved 5k (painstakingly while enduring all the BS at a terrible job) and then I made the leap. I was so excited and optimistic about working for myself! I had sold little pieces here and there and was sure it was only upwards from there. 2 weeks into my freedom- my Dad died unexpectedly. What came next was indescribable DEPRESSION and a