Skip to main content

New Routines

One of the things on my To Do list was decorate for Christmas. And I only did because Im having my family over for a Christmas meal and they have zero Christmas in their life and I thought it would be nice for a moment.
So yesterday I hung little balls on things and even scribbled out some Christmas cards. That's about the extent this year -it's a slim year.
I got a Christmas present in the mail from a dear friend and another friend took me to lunch-it was a good day.
 I started my new "get out of depression" routine which starts with light stretching and getting back into your body...you know, that thing that carries you around that you've been neglecting? That thing.
After stretching its hot bath meditation time. Breathing and clearing away the thoughts. Thoughts like "holy hell-how am I going to make $600 before January 1?" Push those thoughts aside-they are not productive. Breathe and feel your body and be in the now. And give thanks to whatever high being you believe in-for hot water and a working body and mind.
After meditation its freezing walk time. You've done hot element-now do cold (by the way hot bath meditation sounds much better after cold walk meditation) 😜. At least 30 mins of moving your buns around the neighborhood, listening to music on your headphones and looking at what's in front of you. NOT replaying the "wheres the rent gonna come from" conversation. Look at the Christmas lights. Check out the changing season. You're outside. Appreciate that. Then get your cold buns back inside.
Now you've given time to body, mind and soul -you can begin your day. Staying off Facebook will be helpful in this new routine as you start. Everyone is having way more fun than you, eating amazing things while you hoard chicken bones ...and with way more money 😂 Do you really think this helps your "I have no rent money" situation?
No. It makes you feel bitter. Do not succumb to these feelings. Just get to work and proactively try to climb out of the hole.
The last part of my "get out of depression" routine is try to read at least 20 mins a day. Not online reading. Real reading. Learn, grow, feel wiser. Reading is a pleasure I miss.
Today Im going to mail off some cards and send one to this guy
His name is Gene and no- I don't even know him but his story touched me. He apparently was not given a favorable medical prognosis and this will likely be his last Christmas. 😭 His wish is for Christmas cards. So if you'd like to participate in making his card wish come true:
Gene Weittenhiller
410 20th Street
Prairie Du Sac, WI 53578

And if that doesn't put everything into perspective about your situation...
So Im broke but at least Im not terminally ill. Things can be a lot worse huh?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jim Rockford was keeping me broke

Ah Rockford files, a comfortable and silly way to unwind after work. Yes, I am completely aware that I've turned into my Dad and watching Dad shows totally cements that theory. I had to start looking at the handsome James Garner in a new light though... He was a rich and famous star in his time and every evening spent curled up watching Rockford Files was an evening a painting wasn't getting worked on. No painting, no art show material. No painting, no galleries. No painting, no money. Would James Garner be watching TV every evening in a tired drowsy ball and not getting stuff done? Probably not.  So I pulled myself away from TV land in the evenings and devoted at least a little time in the mornings as well. Even if it's just ten minutes. Even if you are just filling in all the blacks, blues or whatever... It is progress. Something is better than nothing. I'm proud to say this little habit tweak has totally kicked my butt into gear and I'm producing at a rate I'

How I had the best art year

  This was the year I got rejection letters from every open call I applied to. Granted, it wasn't very many I applied to because I am very picky about what I sign up for AND I am also very jaded about these things of late.  However, this was my best art year to date and I kinda love that it was all rejection notices this year and I STILL HAD THE BEST ART YEAR EVER. Takeaway: Today's open calls are very "agenda based" and the jurors they choose to judge have their agendas. Some want more millennials and younger artists and shun the older artists, some want you to tackle race, gender identity, politics, feminist, pro this or that.... And my art does not. I'm going to stick by  my "Nature is more important than most bullshit" stance till I die because the very atom of life and Nature is more important in my eyes than most of the stuff humans do to feel more important than another group.  But I digress! I did not get into the velvet rope clubs and it was gre

The Backstory- cliff notes edition

  Skip navigation  little backstory I was totally working for myself as an artist and you know what? It was HARD! Harder than hard and harder than any job ever. But it was the most rewarding experience and I learned so much about so many things and I want to share that knowledge with you guys... My VIP art club. I didn't get a fair shake from the very beginning of my art career. I suffered a back injury at my "muggle" job which required a lot of physical therapy to get over and which I will have with me forever now. It was actually the impetus for me to quit my job and start being an artist! So I turned my bad luck into fuel for my fire. I saved 5k (painstakingly while enduring all the BS at a terrible job) and then I made the leap. I was so excited and optimistic about working for myself! I had sold little pieces here and there and was sure it was only upwards from there. 2 weeks into my freedom- my Dad died unexpectedly. What came next was indescribable DEPRESSION and a