Skip to main content

The Island awaits...

In 2019 I fulfilled my goal to have actual "stuff" to sell in my Shop. I invested in prints and matting material and a paper cutter and was able to assemble my art prints myself and sell online and at vending events.
Some events were fruitful, some were a bust-but they were all good learning experiences and helped me connect with the general public.
Heres a short list of goals and also things Im leaving behind in 2019 as I actively try to take my art career and business to the next level in 2020.

1. A bunch of low paying projects to make ends meet. Doing a bunch of low paying projects takes precious time away from doing a high paying project, working on pieces for shows (which fetch triple or quadruple digits) and creating "art art" as opposed to quick sells. My goal is for more meaningful ART ART and Im not interested in making ends meet anymore. Im tired of scrounging, hoping and having to take breadcrumbs. As someone once said "I WANT MILK IN MY CHEERIOS". I want the ends to meet and keep flowing into my savings account.
2. Things I really don't want to do
As an artist there are things I like to paint and things I hate to paint. Text, letters and intricate portraiture falls into this category. I do them to get better at them-and that is useful...but these are things I will try to not find myself doing if I can help it. I'm a Nature painter who deals with expressionism, imagination and color. The more I stay on that street the happier I am.
3. Low Balling Myself
Been there, done that! This falls into the making ends meet category. I have a talent and it's going to be paid for. Estimates will be thought out, the going rate at least AND NO LESS. This is reason number ONE that Im in the boat with the leaky hole and sinking while everyone else is on the cruise ship to vacationville. Paintings and work aren't getting prices slashed and anyone who values me will hang with this too.
4. Business Plan
Guess who's just been swimming without a plan to actually get to the island? Me. Just survive the day, swim,swim! Now it's time to actually have a plan, a map and an actual boat and name that island that's gonna be mine. Its time for business planning and talking to people in the know. Grant proposals and getting funded. I'll be going to workshops, seminars and getting in where I fit in to learn about making my business work for me.
5. PRODUCE
This should be #1 on my list. One thing the Fair taught me this year was BE PREPARED- people actually want your stuff. HAVE THE STUFF THEY WANT. Be ready so you don't have to get ready. My studio is going to get so many hours put in it this year. With two solo shows early in the new year the fires already been lit. Its time to change the game and go after the milk in my cheerios.

Last thoughts...I have been my own worst enemy in my art career. Wasting time, selling myself short, hurting myself to please others or get the bid. In order to change my situation I must change my behavior. It all starts now.
Onward to the island we go!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jim Rockford was keeping me broke

Ah Rockford files, a comfortable and silly way to unwind after work. Yes, I am completely aware that I've turned into my Dad and watching Dad shows totally cements that theory. I had to start looking at the handsome James Garner in a new light though... He was a rich and famous star in his time and every evening spent curled up watching Rockford Files was an evening a painting wasn't getting worked on. No painting, no art show material. No painting, no galleries. No painting, no money. Would James Garner be watching TV every evening in a tired drowsy ball and not getting stuff done? Probably not.  So I pulled myself away from TV land in the evenings and devoted at least a little time in the mornings as well. Even if it's just ten minutes. Even if you are just filling in all the blacks, blues or whatever... It is progress. Something is better than nothing. I'm proud to say this little habit tweak has totally kicked my butt into gear and I'm producing at a rate I'

How I had the best art year

  This was the year I got rejection letters from every open call I applied to. Granted, it wasn't very many I applied to because I am very picky about what I sign up for AND I am also very jaded about these things of late.  However, this was my best art year to date and I kinda love that it was all rejection notices this year and I STILL HAD THE BEST ART YEAR EVER. Takeaway: Today's open calls are very "agenda based" and the jurors they choose to judge have their agendas. Some want more millennials and younger artists and shun the older artists, some want you to tackle race, gender identity, politics, feminist, pro this or that.... And my art does not. I'm going to stick by  my "Nature is more important than most bullshit" stance till I die because the very atom of life and Nature is more important in my eyes than most of the stuff humans do to feel more important than another group.  But I digress! I did not get into the velvet rope clubs and it was gre

The Backstory- cliff notes edition

  Skip navigation  little backstory I was totally working for myself as an artist and you know what? It was HARD! Harder than hard and harder than any job ever. But it was the most rewarding experience and I learned so much about so many things and I want to share that knowledge with you guys... My VIP art club. I didn't get a fair shake from the very beginning of my art career. I suffered a back injury at my "muggle" job which required a lot of physical therapy to get over and which I will have with me forever now. It was actually the impetus for me to quit my job and start being an artist! So I turned my bad luck into fuel for my fire. I saved 5k (painstakingly while enduring all the BS at a terrible job) and then I made the leap. I was so excited and optimistic about working for myself! I had sold little pieces here and there and was sure it was only upwards from there. 2 weeks into my freedom- my Dad died unexpectedly. What came next was indescribable DEPRESSION and a