Skip to main content

Art Plunging: A Letter

Be charming!

Today I had an interesting letter in my Inbox asking for advice on selling art and maintaining social media networking, etc. Much like the letter I got asking for help getting started in freelancing I decided it would benefit quite a few people if I posted my answer here as well...with a bit more elaboration since there is more space. Here is the reply I sent back to my fellow artist -the italicized stuff is additional points I want to make for a broader audience. Happy reading and be charming!

"Thanks for writing. I really like your art and don't see why you'd have a problem selling it but it is one of the more confusing things to do in life...this selling art stuff! I can only tell you what I've done/tried and am trying. As for social media I have two "art" pages (accidentally...I made one before they made "fan pages"). I keep those updated with show dates, little teaser photos of new works in progress and any news about my art. I also blog and find that a lot of people really connect to that. I've been blogging about my adventures as a freelance artist...other artists curious as to what that entails like to read it. So in a nutshell I create interesting content weekly that keeps my "fans" connected to me. 
I also twitter (you can set up your twitter to your fanpage on facebook so it automatically "tweets" what you post here) and try to keep my flickr account updated, seek out new groups and forums and post periodically. You want to keep your name out on the web and you want to create as many links back to your page as possible. I have a website which I keep updated and I have an etsy shop. If you can afford it- experiment with as many things as possible. A lot of this is trial and error.
 But the other two very important things I can say is...get to know your market. My market right now is a lot of my friends, so I do affordable works in their price range. The works I do out of their price range I make prints of so they can still have a little piece of that. Then I try really hard to get my work seen by galleries, enter competitions and open calls. Second and foremost- be an awesome artist that cares to connect with your audience. In the event it's not your personality- that is what agents are for ha ha!  You will notice I have over 1,000 "friends" here on facebook....I let just about anyone on board here knowing they could be potential buyers or know someone who is. I use this media as a selling platform as well as a way to keep in touch with friends. I hope any of this helps. Theres lots more to say on the subject but it could be a novel!  Oh also- refrain from a lot of spammy posts in order to sell. Be creative. If you want you can read my blog http://www.artplunge.blogspot.com/ where I'm slowly imparting advice on how to live being a freelance artist. 

So being charming and chatty is not your nature? It's not really mine as well. I get totally drained after an art show where I've spent the night shaking hands, smiling and answering questions. I feel most comfortable in my studio behind the easel painting not in front of it waving my arms around saying LOOK AT ME AND MY AWESOME ART BUY BUY BUY! So the public aspect of "selling" it still eludes me. I can only answer questions, try to get to know people and genuinely be interested in their perception of the work and not so much "how can i get them to buy this?". In that regard an AGENT would be best for me. Be honest with yourself. However- online I feel a little more in control, wittier...I have more time to think about what I'm going to say...so most of my sales have been online and on facebook more specifically. What are your strong qualities? Weak qualities? How can you work with them?
Right now I am still in the process of learning (shouldn't we all be?) and have yet to be that artist selling stuff daily on ebay, etsy, etc. Who is succesful and what are they doing? Ask questions, cyber follow them, read blogs and websites from people DOING IT. I did a lot of reading on the Etsy blogs, tips and tricks and so on and so forth..when someone got interviewed because they were selling hand over fist I followed them. What are they doing? Who is their audience? Are they similar to me? Don't COPY their art just their approach to selling. Just as the fellow who wrote to me in order to seek more info on the subject...don't be afraid to ask! You never know what kind of valuable information you'll come away with.
Be yourself. If you're kind of a jerk, overly chirpy, scared of people, whatever....that's you. Your job here is to do your art and if you aren't good at selling it yourself find someone who is. 
Hopefully some little bit of this helped someone out there! 

Comments

  1. Your words are so valuable and magnificent, I will be the first to pay for the seminar. So when and where will it be held?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jim Rockford was keeping me broke

Ah Rockford files, a comfortable and silly way to unwind after work. Yes, I am completely aware that I've turned into my Dad and watching Dad shows totally cements that theory. I had to start looking at the handsome James Garner in a new light though... He was a rich and famous star in his time and every evening spent curled up watching Rockford Files was an evening a painting wasn't getting worked on. No painting, no art show material. No painting, no galleries. No painting, no money. Would James Garner be watching TV every evening in a tired drowsy ball and not getting stuff done? Probably not.  So I pulled myself away from TV land in the evenings and devoted at least a little time in the mornings as well. Even if it's just ten minutes. Even if you are just filling in all the blacks, blues or whatever... It is progress. Something is better than nothing. I'm proud to say this little habit tweak has totally kicked my butt into gear and I'm producing at a rate I'

How I had the best art year

  This was the year I got rejection letters from every open call I applied to. Granted, it wasn't very many I applied to because I am very picky about what I sign up for AND I am also very jaded about these things of late.  However, this was my best art year to date and I kinda love that it was all rejection notices this year and I STILL HAD THE BEST ART YEAR EVER. Takeaway: Today's open calls are very "agenda based" and the jurors they choose to judge have their agendas. Some want more millennials and younger artists and shun the older artists, some want you to tackle race, gender identity, politics, feminist, pro this or that.... And my art does not. I'm going to stick by  my "Nature is more important than most bullshit" stance till I die because the very atom of life and Nature is more important in my eyes than most of the stuff humans do to feel more important than another group.  But I digress! I did not get into the velvet rope clubs and it was gre

The Backstory- cliff notes edition

  Skip navigation  little backstory I was totally working for myself as an artist and you know what? It was HARD! Harder than hard and harder than any job ever. But it was the most rewarding experience and I learned so much about so many things and I want to share that knowledge with you guys... My VIP art club. I didn't get a fair shake from the very beginning of my art career. I suffered a back injury at my "muggle" job which required a lot of physical therapy to get over and which I will have with me forever now. It was actually the impetus for me to quit my job and start being an artist! So I turned my bad luck into fuel for my fire. I saved 5k (painstakingly while enduring all the BS at a terrible job) and then I made the leap. I was so excited and optimistic about working for myself! I had sold little pieces here and there and was sure it was only upwards from there. 2 weeks into my freedom- my Dad died unexpectedly. What came next was indescribable DEPRESSION and a