Skip to main content

Thar Be GOLD in Them Thar Waters!

I know this looks like a 10 year olds stash of goodies but they are mine. MINE! And I'm 35 thank you very much!

Yesterday was a perfect example of what all you can accomplish if you log out of Facebook and set your mind to Get Sh*t Done. Which I did. I woke up early yesterday, about 5:30 am. Checked any emails that might be important and then stepped away from the computer and into the kitchen. There was something that needed doing....something that had been neglected. Hanging out with my family.
I scrambled eggs,baked hash browns, whisked gravy, made the bacon and made sure the biscuits didn't burn. I packed it all up nice and neat and put it in my bike basket and rode it over to my Moms house. She's about 2 miles away, an enjoyable ride if you get up early enough to beat the sun.
My brothers for once were in a rare and enjoyable mood. Meaning they weren't fighting, blasting ghetto rap and the police weren't there for some reason or another. We actually got to have breakfast together and I didn't feel the need to run for my sanity. It was nice.
My brother was painting a sign for a local Auto Body shop. He is a wiz with lettering. A million times better than me. He can flourish and curly cue all over the place. He's had much practice with jailhouse style tattoo art but he is using that to his advantage and I want to encourage him. I hit the local dollar store and bought him some poster board so he could make some little stencils. He needs a good liner brush and paint though. In due time I hope I can help him round that up.
I decided to leave on a high note and rode off on my bike "Tuco"  back to the casa where a daunting task was waiting. THE DRESSER.
I have had this dresser since I can remember. I was just thinking about this...I have never known life without this dresser. It's an old 70's piece of beat up furniture with a heavy mirror that has long since come unattached but which has seen my face morph in it from a wee tot to a gaunt teen to a round little adult. It's been through every phase and whim with me, holding all my black and mopey and torn teenager clothes to the lacey lingerie of a woman. This dresser knows me like no other and in some ways I am this dresser and this dresser is me. So it was no surprise that this dresser was a complete and utter disaster zone with no surface space left on it and a years worth of dust.
I set to work, surface first...all ointments and medications were banished to the bathroom and medicine cabinets. Vitamins to the kitchen. Cosmetics in a cosmetic box. Coins in a piggy bank. Receipts and business cards.....JEEZ THERE WERE A MILLION....trash. Please don't give me any more business cards unless they come with a free enchilada or a glass of wine. :D
I discovered I am the owner of a hundred buttons. I have a fine collection of safety pins. A rainbows pick of earrings and bracelets (I hardly ever wear jewelry). More headbands and bows than I have heads. 50 tubes of lipstick got tossed. Seriously? Lipstick searches have been like Holy Grail pilgrimages. Which brings me to the big find of the day. The moment that made me have to post on the internet in a moment of sheer joy....I FOUND GOLD!!!
And RED is the NEW GOLD!
Ask any sane girl about her hunt for the perfect red and she probably has a tale to tell you. As I just stated, I tossed about  50 old tubes of just not the right shade. However I did find the right shade once upon a time and it was called TRANS SIBERIAN by NARS. THE perfect red for me. PERFECT BY DAMN PERFECT! Granted, perfection costs about $20 a tube, it is worth not buying inferior and not the right shades. Sadly my perfect color was discontinued about a year ago so I really did spring a foot in the air when I pulled a BRAND NEW TUBE out of my dresser drawer! My long lost love! Reunited at last! Ok this blog just got too girly so let's move on to Bruce Lee...
I also discovered I need a Toy Box. A Trunk. Something to put TOYS in because I have a bunch. Like a Bruce Lee action figure that I am someday going to play with (he has nunchuks!) and an Owl Kite that looks pretty cool (unopened) and Hello Kitty Pez Dispensers that I wonder if the candy is still good in. There is a whole drawer of my dresser crammed tight with toys and baubles that I didn't even open yesterday because I was afraid ....I was afraid I would go "OOH SHINY TOY!" and sit down and start playing with it. Leaving all my work undone. Plus I know my mini Godzilla figurines are in there.
Wow this blog is long and about a dresser!
So in closing, the dresser LOOKS clean now (still has drawers to sort through) but there is surface space and the dust has been knocked off of it. I spent about 5 hours at least sorting through junk. A whole giant garbage bag filled with my detritus and lipstick addiction is waiting to be hauled away. I discovered I should probably start wearing jewelry and scarves every day to justify my massive collection. Why do we carry so much around with us? Surely this all means something bigger and deeper? Our need to collect and stash away and hoard and covet. Giving each other things that take up space. By the way, my birthday is coming up and if anyone wants to get me something useful a TRUNK for all my TOYS would be the awesome sauce! Perhaps a paper shredder and a box of garbage bags too.
:-)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jim Rockford was keeping me broke

Ah Rockford files, a comfortable and silly way to unwind after work. Yes, I am completely aware that I've turned into my Dad and watching Dad shows totally cements that theory. I had to start looking at the handsome James Garner in a new light though... He was a rich and famous star in his time and every evening spent curled up watching Rockford Files was an evening a painting wasn't getting worked on. No painting, no art show material. No painting, no galleries. No painting, no money. Would James Garner be watching TV every evening in a tired drowsy ball and not getting stuff done? Probably not.  So I pulled myself away from TV land in the evenings and devoted at least a little time in the mornings as well. Even if it's just ten minutes. Even if you are just filling in all the blacks, blues or whatever... It is progress. Something is better than nothing. I'm proud to say this little habit tweak has totally kicked my butt into gear and I'm producing at a rate I'

How I had the best art year

  This was the year I got rejection letters from every open call I applied to. Granted, it wasn't very many I applied to because I am very picky about what I sign up for AND I am also very jaded about these things of late.  However, this was my best art year to date and I kinda love that it was all rejection notices this year and I STILL HAD THE BEST ART YEAR EVER. Takeaway: Today's open calls are very "agenda based" and the jurors they choose to judge have their agendas. Some want more millennials and younger artists and shun the older artists, some want you to tackle race, gender identity, politics, feminist, pro this or that.... And my art does not. I'm going to stick by  my "Nature is more important than most bullshit" stance till I die because the very atom of life and Nature is more important in my eyes than most of the stuff humans do to feel more important than another group.  But I digress! I did not get into the velvet rope clubs and it was gre

The Backstory- cliff notes edition

  Skip navigation  little backstory I was totally working for myself as an artist and you know what? It was HARD! Harder than hard and harder than any job ever. But it was the most rewarding experience and I learned so much about so many things and I want to share that knowledge with you guys... My VIP art club. I didn't get a fair shake from the very beginning of my art career. I suffered a back injury at my "muggle" job which required a lot of physical therapy to get over and which I will have with me forever now. It was actually the impetus for me to quit my job and start being an artist! So I turned my bad luck into fuel for my fire. I saved 5k (painstakingly while enduring all the BS at a terrible job) and then I made the leap. I was so excited and optimistic about working for myself! I had sold little pieces here and there and was sure it was only upwards from there. 2 weeks into my freedom- my Dad died unexpectedly. What came next was indescribable DEPRESSION and a